Benefits for Full-Time:
Medical, Vision, Dental, and Life Insurance;
Voluntary Benefits, and a 403B Retirement plan.
Director of Support Services
The Education Specialist will oversee the educational needs of youth residing in LAYN Programs. Reporting to the
Director of Support Services, the Education Specialist shall implement the educational program while serving as an
advocate for foster youth and homeless youth in the educational community. The Education Specialist is the
primary point of contact in meeting the educational needs of all youth with respect to providing tutoring
opportunities. To ensure that all services are provided in accordance with the Los Angeles Youth Network mission
statement, Value Statement, Code of Conduct and LAYN Policies and Procedures.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
- Design educational/school program for LAYN residents through the assessment of youth goals,
prior placement, motivation, learning style and psycho-social functioning.
- Assist in the creation and monitoring of academic case plans for all youth; monitor case plan
progress through GPA, credits, school attendance, etc.
- Inform youth of their educational rights and work with school liaisons to ensure educational rights
are being honored.
- Enroll all youth in school within time set forth by law; work with youth to identify and address
school related needs including clothing, transportation, supplies and general comfort.
- Advocate for youth in school enrollment, retrieving of educational documents, transcripts, credits
and IEPs; establish relationships with LAUSD administrators and teachers.
- Work to develop graduation plans, transfer plans or college acceptance plans; assist youth with
college applications and financial aid.
- Research and implement SAT and ACT preparatory curriculum.
- Develop academic accommodations and modifications to assist youth with learning disabilities;
create targeted interventions for youth failing to meet attendance and promotion standards.
- In collaboration with the other Education Specialist:
o Lead and organize groups on high school graduation, college admissions, financial aid, etc.
o Lead field trips to college campuses and other institutions in order to provide enriching
learning opportunities to youth.
- In collaboration with the Employment Specialist
o Assist youth in completing a Career Education plan and portfolio.
o Assist youth in identifying and applying to post- secondary institutions and vocational
programs that are aligned to the youth’s goals
- Perform and oversee participant screening, training, matching and support of all volunteer tutors.
- Work with tutors to set tutoring objectives and meet with tutors on a quarterly basis to reevaluate
objectives and approaches.
- Schedule and coordinate with case managers and tutors to ensure all youth receive regular tutoring
- Provide weekly tutoring and homework assistance to youth as needed
- Communicate with School on Wheels and LAUSD in order to place tutors.
- Ensure that all tutors are informed of and abide by LAYN policies and procedures. Offer ongoing
support and training to tutors around educational pedagogy and targeted learning interventions.
- Arrange additional off-site tutoring for any youth who are performing below grade level.
- Compile statistical data monthly.
- Communicate with CSWs, school administrators and teachers on an ongoing basis.
- Complete appropriate documentation of files.
- Utilize the Positive Youth Development Approach when dealing with youth.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors in a related field required, Masters in Social Work, Public Administration, or other Human Services
- Minimum of one year experience working in a residential, and/or mental health setting.
- Superb writing, assessment, planning and analytical skills
- Must possess professionalism, and leadership
- Exemplary attention to details
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines in a timely manner. Demonstrated problem
- Experience working as part of a team, while also demonstrating initiative and ability to work
- Satisfactorily fulfill the requirements for employment at the Los Angeles Youth Network, i.e. references,
physical examination, criminal records clearance, etc.
Valid CA Driver’s License (must pass insurance underwrites)
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by
employees within this job. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all
possible job responsibilities, tasks, and qualifications required of employees to this job. Los Angeles Youth Network is an Equal