Ocado is a UK based company admitted to trading on the London Stock Exchange (Ticker OCDO). It comprises one of the world's largest dedicated online grocery retailers, operating its own grocery and general merchandise retail businesses under Ocado.com* and other specialist shop banners, together with its Ocado Solutions division.
Ocado Solutions is responsible for corporate partnerships, providing the Ocado Smart Platform ("OSP") as a service to retailers around the world. OSP comprises access to Ocado's physical infrastructure solutions, running highly efficient warehouse operations for the single pick of products, together with the entire end-to-end proprietary software applications required to operate a world class online grocery business. It is underpinned by Ocado's proven expertise and experience as a dedicated online grocer in the UK.
Our unique, proprietary and industry-leading technology is set to transform the shopping experience of consumers around the world. We have partnered with Kroger to help it redefine the grocery customer experience in the USA through the adoption of the centralized, automated model of online retailing provided by the Ocado Smart Platform.
Come join us as we build our North American team, bringing world class innovation and technologies to one of the most exciting global markets for e-commerce.
- In February 2019, Ocado Group announced the creation of an online grocery retail joint venture with Marks & Spencer plc, one of the UK's leading food and clothing retailers.
What You Will Do
The US Regional Engineering Operations Manager (REOM) will lead a team of over 250 personal in a defined US region and will cascade initiatives through Senior Engineering Operations Managers (SEOMs) based on-site who will run the management of their particular sites. Having direct accountability for overall regional performance in line with both internal and client SLA arrangements, as well as general legal and health and safety standards, the REOM will work closely with other Ocado REOM's in country.
The REOM will be a key stakeholder throughout the new site development programs, post-construction phase, and build, inspire and motivate talented on-site engineering teams, creating a loyal, focused and dynamic working environment which is reflective of the Ocado values. The REOM will also serve as the regional business leader/project sponsor for the creation of both regional and site specific strategy for Ocado's Engineering Operations priorities.
As a Senior Manager, you will be a brand ambassador of Ocado as the business becomes more established in the US over the coming years.
As our Regional Engineering Operations Manager, your day-to-day responsibilities could include:
- Support and coach site managers and their respective teams to enhance service and improve overall performance
- Promote 'best in class' practices and will ensure US teams provide high quality "end user" feedback to central head office teams.
- Provide oversight and leadership for continuous improvement initiatives using Lean, Six Sigma and TPM methodology
- Deliver operational objectives through incremental improvement projects with regular contact with Site Leaders to ensure improvements are sustained and performance targets are achieved
- Contribute to the development of the business strategy, business planning and execution and should direct the preparation of regional budgets, forecasts and cost management
- Adhere to reliability road map by ensuring sites are actively applying best practices in preventive and predictive maintenance
- Enforce all aspects of Safety Management by ensuring that local operations, safety professionals and the Ocado Health and Safety team are included in process reviews to guaranty cross functional alignment, while also maintaining adherence to all local and state safety and regulatory requirements
- Regularly review effectiveness of equipment handover to Engineering Operations by central project teams, ensuring that appropriate Project Reviews are being conducted in the region and Site Managers are taking ownership of MHE in satisfactory conditions. The REOM will help escalate to central engineering when required
You may be asked to perform tasks as required by management deemed as a reasonable request from time-to-time. This job description is a summary of the typical functions of the role, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of possible role responsibilities, tasks and duties and is subject to review. The responsibilities, tasks and duties of the job holder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might form part of the job.
Who You Are
To qualify for this position, you should meet the following requirements:
- A bachelor's degree in engineering
- Strong background in performance management, coaching, and mentoring
- Background in Total Performance Management, Lean Manufacturing; Six Sigma (Green Belt required; Black Belt preferred)
- Significant industrial safety experience
- Direct experience in projects which incorporate Process Safety Management
- IT savvy, utilizes latest technology and software programs
- Significant experience of progressive leadership, multi-plant managerial experience, leading manufacturing and operations teams, high-tech manufacturing and/or automated distribution facilities preferred
- Five or more years of experience with engineering controls, automation and/or robotics in a commercial manufacturing/distribution environment
- Experience with high-speed manufacturing/distribution equipment highly desired
- Several years of success in the selection, motivation, development, evaluation, recognition, and retention of competent and caring personnel
- Demonstrated management experience through P&L accountability for overseeing multiple functional areas
- Must have the ability to travel domestically and internationally to headquarters located in the UK and other international locations, if required
Our Regional Engineering Operations Manager position is located in our Tysons Corner, VA office. We will also accept candidates interested in working remotely. Periodic travel of up to 70% will be required for this role.
Ocado is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, or any other classification as required by applicable law.