- 3+ years of relevant work experience in publishing, editorial, book sales, or other related field
- Professional experience making selection decisions about books and/or magazines
- Experience conducting data-driven analysis and tracking performance metrics
- Demonstrated ability to audit own work as well as others’ written work
- Excellent written communication skills
- Experience with Excel
- BA/BS from an accredited university
**This position is located in Seattle, WA.**
Join the team that launched the first-ever Amazon Books physical retail store. We apply Amazon’s 20+ years of online bookselling experience to build specialty retail stores that integrate the benefits of offline and online book shopping. It is still day one for Specialty Retail Stores and we are hiring entrepreneurial, analytical, creative, flexible leaders to help us make Amazon Books and Amazon 4-star places that customers love to shop. If you want to join a fast-paced, innovative team that is making history and breaking new ground for Amazon, this is the place for you.
Amazon Physical Stores help customers discover many great products, including books. To facilitate browsing and discovery and create a unique shopping experience, we choose a variety of well-known and lesser-known books to feature in our physical retail locations. Amazon Books’ Curators lead this critical component of our strategy. They are the ones carefully selecting the books we carry and making sure we have a book for everyone in our stores.
We are hiring a Books Curator who will own several children's categories (including Board Books, Picture Books, Kids Fiction 6-8, Early Readers, and 8x8s), Parenting, and Magazines. You will choose the books in our stores' assortment for these categories and make sure that our selection remains fresh and appealing. You’ll stay abreast of upcoming new releases and select the books you think our customers will love. In addition to your expertise and judgment, you will use various data inputs to select and remove books from your categories, figure out the pace of those changes, and analyze the sales performance of your categories. You’ll apply your creative skills to conceive featured groupings of books that will engage customers, and critical thinking to plan improvements and innovate for the future.
The right person for this role has a passion for and deep knowledge of books and magazines and is analytical and able to use a variety of inputs to make data-driven decisions rather than rely solely on personal judgment. Other skills needed to be successful in this role are excellent writing and communication skills, high standards, attention to detail, customer focus, and the ability to innovate on behalf of our customers. You thrive in fast-paced, energetic, and ambiguous environments, and you are excited to build world-class stores that customers will love shopping.
- Select the titles in our stores within multiple categories (both children's books, parenting, and magazines), including not-yet-published books and backlist
- Develop feature ideas and choose the assortments for those features
- Use sales and other data to analyze performance of the assortment, iterate based on the data, and recommend strategies for improvement
- Plan, execute, and measure tests for new opportunities within store selection
- Represent the voice of the books customer in discussions with other internal and external teams and act as an advocate for books customer experience in all facets of our store and work process design
- Partner with various Amazon teams (Trade Books, Kindle, Goodreads) to create opportunities that integrate the online and bricks-and-mortar shopping experience
- Write editorial content for review cards and store newsletters
- Knowledge of current and recent bestselling titles with an emphasis on children's books for ages 0-8, Parenting, and Magazines
- Ability to learn new systems and tools quickly
- Ability to conceptualize and execute projects, with strong bias for action and ability to prioritize
- Consistent record of taking ownership and driving results – self-starter and self-directed
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills, ability to use data to draw conclusions
- Experience using analytical tools to measure performance, determine improvements and innovations, and make adjustments accordingly
- Experience optimizing processes for efficiency and accuracy
- Excellent project management skills with ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Ability to present ideas to various levels of an organization and gain support for initiatives
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Passion for customers (especially readers) and for books across all formats
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.