Overview of the Communications Department
The Communications Department proactively conducts outreach, education, and marketing to residents, member agency representatives, business and community leaders, and other stakeholders in support of a broad range of SANDAG programs and initiatives. The team also manages programs to involve various audiences in the regional planning and decision-making processes through workshops, public hearings, and ongoing broad public outreach and feedback programs.
Many of the current responsibilities of the Communications Department are focused on developing and implementing strategic communication and marketing plans to support a variety of programs and projects such as San Diego Forward: The 2019-2050 Regional Plan, the North Coast Corridor Program, iCommute, 511, FasTrak, Rapid, Mid-Coast, and others. Through close collaboration with internal project teams, outside stakeholders, and member agencies, this team develops brochures, web pages, advertising campaigns, social media strategies, videos, and other collateral materials. Implementation of these products and services requires innovation, flexibility, resilience, tenacity, and superior attention to detail.
Marketing Analyst Role
As a member of a 23-person Communications Department, the Marketing Analyst will assist with the development and implementation of strategic programs and initiatives to support marketing, public outreach, and business development efforts for a variety of SANDAG programs and projects, such as iCommute, FasTrak, the 2019 Regional Plan, San Diego Regional Proving Ground, and others.
This is a Limited-Term employment opportunity. The position will be funded through June 2020. Limited-Term employees are considered to be “at-will” and receive many of the benefits of Regular employees.
This position is ideal for an entry to mid-level marketing professional with a strong interest in gaining experience with comprehensive communications, marketing, and outreach programs. We anticipate career development will occur while working on the types of duties and responsibilities described below and through mentoring and close collaboration with senior staff. Examples of primary responsibilities include:
Experience and Qualifications
- Collaborate with the iCommute team on Transportation Demand Management (TDM) marketing and outreach efforts; coordinate activities and special events with other SANDAG departments, clients, the public, and outside agencies.
- Participate in the Bike to Work Month and Rideshare Month campaigns and provide support services for other iCommute employer outreach programs and services.
- Provide marketing services for the regional 511 transportation information program; support initiatives such as education campaigns to build awareness of the Motorist Aid program.
- Assist with the implementation of public outreach and engagement strategies to gather input on transportation networks for San Diego Forward: The 2019-2050 Regional Plan.
- Identify new marketing opportunities and assist with planning and implementing media and social media strategies; participate in the development of marketing and business development plans to promote and implement new products and improved services.
- Assist with a variety of program and project marketing and outreach efforts, which may include campaigns to promote and/or educate the public about FasTrak, Motorist Aid services, and autonomous vehicles.
- Analyze and present results of marketing, advertising, and promotional programs to the project team; use project management and workflow tools to support agency efforts.
- Research and draft collateral pieces to support marketing programs including ad copy, newsletters, brochures, public service announcements, websites, presentations, social media posts, video scripts/storyboards, and other types of promotional materials.
- Review and recommend changes and updates to web content in support of marketing and outreach efforts; prepare webpage content and make website changes.
- Participate in the preparation of scopes of work and contract specifications; monitor project budgets, compliance with contractual agreements, and reconcile invoices for payment.
- Develop and coordinate media buys for radio, newspaper, television, and/or digital advertising.
- Assist with soliciting sponsors/partners and negotiating agreements for events and programs.
- Respond to mail, telephone calls and messages, email, and internal correspondence in a prompt, professional, and courteous manner.
Numerous factors contribute to an individual’s ability to be successful in any given role. For this position, we are searching for a candidate who is outgoing, organized, and detail-oriented. Excellent communication skills, creativity, analytical capabilities, and the ability to exercise discretion, judgment, and diplomacy when working with clients, vendors, and employees are key characteristics.
The minimum education, training, and experience qualifications include a Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business, communications, or a related field and one to four years of progressive career development supporting marketing or communications initiatives.
The following information describes the specific types of career experiences that are most relevant to this position.
Salary and Benefits
- Experience providing support for a comprehensive communications and/or marketing program.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and terminology of the marketing/communications industry; familiarity with public outreach and public participation programs designed to engage and inform the community.
- Experience assisting with the coordination of various promotional activities and special events such as press briefings, ribbon cuttings, award ceremonies, and community outreach and participation events.
- Familiarity with or the ability to learn the principles of Transportation Demand Management (TDM) and regional planning, including concepts, strategies, and current industry developments.
- Familiarity with the practices and operations of local print, TV, and radio media outlets; knowledge of social media marketing and digital advertising strategies.
- Experience researching and drafting creative materials to support comprehensive marketing efforts such as ad copy, newsletters, brochures, public service announcements, presentations, and other types of promotional materials; experience writing engaging and compelling communications for a variety of audiences and purposes.
- Experience reviewing, editing, and developing content for websites; demonstrated knowledge of web writing principles and techniques; and experience coordinating updates and revisions to websites.
- Ability to establish, maintain, and foster cooperative and collaborative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to communicate with various audiences, using interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills; proficiency with the Spanish language, both oral and written, is desirable.
- Effective time management and organizational skills and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment; ability to exercise good judgment and work independently.
- Ability to work well under pressure and with frequent interruptions from telephone calls, emails, and employees.
- Computer software proficiency using the Microsoft Office Suite, conducting research on the Internet, and other PC-based applications; knowledge of customer relationship management software, project management tools (e.g., SharePoint, Basecamp), email marketing programs (e.g., MailChimp), video editing programs, and digital advertising platforms is desirable.
- The selected candidate can anticipate a driving record check upon hire, and approximately annually thereafter. The results of the check may determine whether the selected candidate will be permitted to drive for SANDAG business.
SANDAG rewards the efforts of its employees with a comprehensive compensation package. Competitive salaries are supplemented with a flexible and generous offering of health, financial security, and time-off benefits to meet the work and life needs of employees and their families.
This Marketing Analyst position will be filled at the Analyst I, II, or Associate level depending on qualifications and experience of the selected candidate. Positions at the Analyst I and II level are considered entry-level with job duties primarily related to learning and supporting marketing activities. At the Associate level, employees are expected to independently coordinate more complex marketing functions.
The annual salary ranges are: Analyst I - $41,488 to $69,037 per year; Analyst II - $45,741 to $76,113, per year; Associate Analyst - $50,429 to $83,915 per year.
Our benefits include traditional health, dental, and vision insurance as well as employee assistance, wellness, and work/life balance programs. Retirement and financial security benefits are provided through a pension plan and deferred compensation program. And to support the need to rest and rejuvenate, employees are provided with a bank of paid time off in addition to paid holidays.
How to Apply
We encourage all interested candidates to apply for this position by completing a SANDAG Employment Application form. Resumes, cover letters, and work samples may be submitted in addition to the Employment Application but are not a substitute for this document.
The Employment Application can be downloaded in PDF format from the SANDAG website. Alternatively, a copy can be requested by calling (619) 699-1900 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Completed applications and related materials can be submitted via email, fax, regular mail, courier, or delivered by hand. See our Careers / How to Apply webpage for additional information.
This position is open until filled. The first review of applications will begin on Friday, June 1, 2018
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), SANDAG will accommodate persons who require assistance in order to apply for a position at SANDAG. Applicants requiring an accommodation due to a disability during any stage of the recruitment and selection process, including requesting this document and related application materials in an alternative format, should make their needs known by contacting Human Resources at (619) 699-1900, (619) 699-1904 (TTY), fax (619) 699-6905, or email@example.com.
To help us further evaluate the skills and experience of individuals interested in this position, applicants are asked to submit up to three recent work samples that illustrate their experience creating a range of marketing pieces. Example content types include: website content; fact sheet, flier, or brochure; a creative brief, or highlights of an integrated campaign (if you developed the theme and messaging).
The work samples should be no larger than 8½x11” in page size and no longer than 10 pages in total. A brief description of each work sample is required, including when and where the work was completed, your role in producing the work sample, and the outcomes or metrics resulting from your effort. Links to webpages are not acceptable work samples.
The work samples are considered a required component of the employment application; applications received without these items will be screened out of the selection process.
Candidate Selection and Notification
Following the first review date for applications, all candidates will receive written confirmation that their application has been received. The hiring manager will begin reviewing and evaluating applications within a few days of the first review date. Based on this evaluation, the best qualified candidates will be invited to continue in the selection process. All candidates will receive written notification as to the final outcome of their application.
The SANDAG website contains a wealth of information about our various project and program areas. The Careers section of the site lists all of our current Job Openings as well as information on how to apply for positions and Frequently Asked Questions about our recruitment process.
In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, applicants hired by SANDAG must show acceptable proof of identity and evidence of authorization to work in the United States.
SANDAG is an Equal Opportunity Employer.