Under the supervision of the Public Works Director, the Planner performs duties related to planning, utilizing various development codes, processing and reviewing development applications, and communicating development regulations to the general public, developers, citizens, and officials. This position will also review proposed construction documents, permits, applications and building plans to ensure compliance with building, zoning and construction codes and municipal regulations. This position will also require the Planner to evaluate of plats, site plans, civil drawings, building construction plans, specifications, and architectural standard submittals, and be able to interpret these for compliance. The Planner is responsible for advising property owners, architects, builders, and engineers on matters regarding building code compliance and zoning ordinances.
The position caters to an organized, creative, strongminded individual who can work independently with little direction or oversite and follow a schedule. The position requires a thorough knowledge of planning principles along with a practical approach to development. This is a highly responsible position that demands professional level work and an exceptionally high level of critical thinking, customer service and diplomacy.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Represents the City of Aubrey in a professional, appropriate manner at all times.
2. Provide development/zoning information, verification and guidance to Aubrey citizens, real estate agents, appraisers, engineers and developers regarding zoning and platting issues.
3. Manage all record keeping activities for all zoning changes, annexations, variances.
4. Manage all updates to the Zoning maps.
5. Assist in managing all zoning change and site plan applications.
6. Assist in managing all plat applications including county recording, scanning and records management.
7. Coordinates ETJ plats between County and City.
8. Assist in Preparing P&Z packets and distribute to all stakeholders.
9. Advises and assists on special problems/projects as needed, Coordinating with other departments on projects (Public Works, Engineering, Fire, etc.) as required.
10. Assists with determining which local amendments the City of Aubrey should adopt and support, fee schedules, and special projects as needed.
11. Provides technical assistance to developers, architects, engineers, contractors, property owners, utility providers and City staff on matters regarding codes, ordinances, permit submittal process, accessibility, and permit fee calculations.
12. Perform related work as required, including but not limited to occasional filed review for platting or land use as needed.
13. Calculates building permit fees and approves building permit applications prior to issuing permit.
14. Assists permit technicians with maintaining records of plans, plan reviews, inspections, letters and reports prepared or used in connection with all building permits.
15. Prepares and submits various reports regarding permits as needed.
16. Enforcement of ordinances relating to subdivisions, zoning, parking, landscaping, mobile homes, signs, complaints and other city code relating to development
17. Attends meetings with City staff prior to applicants submitting site plan approval and/or building permits (predevelopment meeting) and workshops.
18. Responsible for reading technical literature to keep current on codes.
- Completion of a High School Diploma or Equivalent required; Completion of an associate degree or 2-year college/technical school for Architecture, Engineering, Construction, or related field preferred; and
- Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, Public Administration, Geography, Community Development, Historic Preservation, Architecture, or related field preferred.
- A minimum of two (2) years of commercial, residential, and component plans examining experience.
- In place of the above requirements, any combination of relevant education and experience which demonstrates the knowledge, skill, and ability to perform the essential functions of the job will be considered.
- Must possess valid State of Texas Driver License.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $82,101.20 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Urban planning: 2 years (Required)
- AICP Certification (Required)
Work Location: In person