The University of Miami is considered among the top tier institutions of higher education in the U.S. for its academic excellence, superior medical care, and cutting-edge research. At the U, we are committed to attracting a talented workforce to support our common purpose of transforming lives through teaching, research, and service. Through our values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity and Teamwork (DIRECCT) we strive to create an environment where everyone contributes in making UM a great place to work. We are one of the largest private employers in Miami-Dade County; home to more than 13,400 faculty and staff from all over the world.
The Wellness and Recreation Department at the University of Miami is looking for an Assistant Director, Facilities.
General Description of Responsibilities:
- Primarily responsible for managing and overseeing facility reservations (both indoor/outdoor) and the hiring, scheduling, training, evaluating, and supervision of 90-120 student employees working in multiple positions within the department. Assume responsibilities for Associate Director, Facilities in their absence.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Hire, direct and manage 90-120 student employees working in multiple positions (student facility manager, service desk, lifeguard, operations, and Pro Shop) within the department. Ensure all employees follow the DIRECCT model and are fully-trained in the department’s core values. Evaluate student employees’ performance; assign merit; and provide counsel/progressive discipline when necessary.
- In coordination with the Customer Service Manager, contribute to on-going customer service initiatives.
- Update departmental computers and iPads so student employees can access the files necessary to perform their job, such as: contact lists, schedules, accident reports, policies/procedures, task lists, and training checklists.
- Communicate and hold accountable shift-specific tasks to the facility managers (student positions).
- Manage Lifeguard staff and ensure lifeguards have necessary certifications, are compliant with Risk Management procedures, and they receive ongoing in-service training which will take place twice per semester.
- Coordinate with the payroll staff to assign appropriate pay rates for student employees and solve issues regarding student employees’ time sheets.
- Monitor area budgets and work with department Director of Business Operations to ensure department and university policies are followed.
- Manage and distribute all building schedules, including semester master schedule and weekly special reservations schedule, accounting for the (14) rentable indoor/outdoor spaces of the facility.
- Collaborate with the Marketing/Communications Specialist to communicate and post signage for all special events.
- Manage reservation system and process requests from the department (intramurals, club sports, fitness courses, instructional programs, and departmental meetings), other university departments, student organizations and outside organizations.
- Accountable for generating revenue in facility rentals.
- Readily available to communicate with groups via email, telephone or walk-in meetings.
- Accountable for invoices for fee-paying reservations and process the payment.
- Coordinate setup and breakdown for all events in the Herbert Wellness Center, as well as university-wide events that use the building’s space, which may include Admissions Open House, Expos and various other large-scale events.
- Notify intramurals, club sports and other groups of interruptions to normal reservation times and scheduled practices due to special events.
- Coordinate equipment rentals that come with reservations.
- Schedule extra maintenance and student assistance for large-scale events.
Qualifications and Experience Requirements/Preferences:
- Assume responsibilities for Associate Director, Facilities in their absence in regards to facility maintenance communication, payroll, task assignments, and/or project management.
- Create, update and revise facility-related forms, emergency procedures, student employee forms/paperwork.
- Assist Associate Director, Facilities in contributing ideas to solve issues reported daily through supervisor reports and identify facility issues that need attention.
- Manage inventory of first-aid supplies, rentable equipment, etc.
- Purchase facility-related items using the corporate purchasing card. Reconcile purchasing card statement on a monthly basis.
- Manage lost ‘Cane cards, cards left behind for rental of a pro shop item and confiscated cards. Communicate with patrons and enter notes into a database or put a hold on patron access for required action.
- Manage facility’s building access security system by granting or eliminating access through several doors throughout the building for all full-time staff and student employees.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Recreation, Physical Education, Sports Administration or related field, or a combination of education and experience preferred.
- One to two years of recreation/facilities coordination or other related experience with an emphasis on daily operational procedures required.
- Position requires training and supervision of student employees; therefore, some supervisory experience is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated effective organizational skills required.
- Excellent communication skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and manage multiple conflicting priorities required.
- Excellent customer service skills required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite of products and working familiarity with data base systems required.
- Position may require evening and weekend work.
- Direct responsibility for planning, directing, and documenting all preventative maintenance, routine maintenance, planned and emergency repairs, and renovation projects. Collaborate with Real Estate and Facilities to ensure all maintenance efforts align with those of the University and that all mechanical systems are functional and maintained to deliver the highest degree of reliability.
- Establish policies and procedures for maintenance of the Herbert Wellness Center. Ensure all risk management and health department regulations are followed.
Apply online at www.miami.edu/careers
Position # P00008323
The University of Miami is home to some of the brightest minds in the world. We are committed to educating and nurturing students, creating knowledge, and providing service to our community and beyond. The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more.