Performs duties as assigned in conjunction with Laboratory Manager and/or Project Engineer
Assists Project Manager on a variety of engineering and research tasks
Documents activities and records observations in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures
Studies new air-quality measurement technologies and develop computational & analytical skills
Processes large data sets using available software packages including R, MATLAB and Excel
Originates and/or amends written standard operating procedures, quality assurance plans, and work plans as related to air-emissions research tasks
Reviews data to ensure compliance with project data quality goals and to identify areas for improvement in the quality system
Maintains hard-copy and electronic records of measurement results and reports in accordance with Jacobs and EPA records management protocols
Performs all laboratory work in accordance with established Jacobs and EPA safety and quality assurance protocols
Uses and maintains laboratory equipment including gas chromatography equipment
Cleans and maintains laboratory glassware
Assists in soil and dust sieving for inorganic analysis
Independently performs acid extraction/digestion on a variety of samples
Receives and logs in daily shipments, stores appropriately and notifies pertinent personnel
Assists with equipment maintenance as per SOPs
Assists with scheduling and coordination of equipment maintenance calibration and service requests with Metrology and vendors
Notifies Project Mangers/Laboratory Manager of quality issues and documents appropriately
Obtains quotes, submits requisitions for laboratory supplies
Years of experience:
Entry level Engineer/Scientist
Undergraduate degree in Science or Engineering.
Preferred Qualifications :
- Strong attention to detail.
- Proficient with basic computer applications such as email, MS Office Suite.
- Prior laboratory experience is a plus.
- Ability to function effectively in a team-oriented atmosphere.
- Works independently when necessary
Recent or pending graduation from an accredited Chemistry/Environmental degree program preferred.
Unusual or Special Physical Requirements of Position (specify and provide % of time required)
- Lifting: 35 lbs, 10%
- Special clothing/equipment (wearing): Industrial PPE (safety glasses, protective shoes, lab coats, dust masks), 70%
- Unusual physical requirements:
- High noise level:
- Other: Must be comfortable working in in a laboratory environment, 80%
Description of Work Environment (specify and provide % of time required)
- Inside? Outside? Combination? Where?: Laboratory or Indoor setting, 80%
- Extreme (hot/cold) temperatures involved: Some field work, up to 20%
- Hazardous conditions - What are they?:
- Travel/transportation requirements:
Equipment and Machines Involved in Work Tasks (specify and provide % of time required)
- Office equipment/machines electrically/battery operated - which?:
- Vehicles, forklifts, etc. operated which?:
- Tools used in trade - which ones?: hand tools, 10%
- Other: Laboratory equipment including temperature, pressure, flow rate measurement devices, sifting equipment, 60%
Criticality of Attendance (specify and provide % of time required)
- Overtime, regular days, off days: Regular days
- Shift, 1st, 2nd, 3rd: 1 st shift, core hours 9:00AM – 3:00PM
- Necessity for regular attendance: Critical
- Urgency for punctuality: Urgent
Other Essential Functions (List other essential functions here.)
Must take and pass drug screen and background check.
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. Jacobs is a drug-free workplace.