As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For a complete description of our benefits for this position, please visit our website, click here.
As a UW employee, you have a unique opportunity to change lives on our campuses, in our state and around the world. UW employees offer their boundless energy, creative problem solving skills and dedication to build stronger minds and a healthier world.
UW faculty and staff also enjoy outstanding benefits, professional growth opportunities and unique resources in an environment noted for diversity, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits and natural beauty. All of which has allowed the UW to be nationally recognized as a “Great College to Work For” for five consecutive years.
Our Department of Biology, has an outstanding opportunity for a Research Scientist-Engineer –Assistant.
Working with the Principal Investigator, this person will assist in hands-on research determining the physical mechanisms underlying cell migration during wound healing.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Zebrafish husbandry, including maintaining fish lines and developing new lines by transgenesis
- Assist in collecting and analyzing microscopy data
- Assist in developing custom image and analysis software to extract relevant information from microscopy images
- Assist in maintaining cutting-edge spinning disk confocal microscopy system
- Assist in preparing and writing manuscripts describing the work
- Working collaboratively with graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, and research staff
- Bachelor’s degree in quantitative biology or related field
- Up to one year’s research experience in cell biology or related field
- Proficiency in image and data analysis
- Experience with zebrafish husbandry or related fish husbandry
- Experience with genetic manipulation of fish or other living organisms
- Experience with molecular genetics/cloning
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
- Experience with fluorescence microscopy, including confocal microscopy
- Experience using MATLAB and ImageJ
- Some experience with sample preparation and imaging with transmission electron microscopy (TEM)
- Some experience with Python
- Experience with regulations and writing protocols for use of animals in research