- Driving Experience
- Driver's License
- Customer Service
- Motorcycle License
- Clean Driving Record
The Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) is responsible for developing, implementing, and coordinating transportation policies and projects for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and to efficiently plan, design, construct, and maintain a safe statewide transportation system which effectively meets the transportation needs of the Commonwealth. MassDOT’s divisions include: Highway, Aeronautics, Registry, Rail & Transit and Programs &Planning. There are approximately 3,600 employees that work in the department. In addition, the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) and Regional Transit Authorities (RTA) are subject to oversight by MassDOT.
Duties and Responsibilities
This position requires a Tuesday through Saturday work schedule.
1. Review and approve the required license applicant documentation to confirm identity, valid permit status, and to ensure compliance with state law and RMV policies and procedures.
2. Verify road test sponsor accompanying applicant is at least twenty-one years of age, has at least one year of driving experience and possesses a valid driver's license.
3. Inspect the vehicle for valid registration. Ensure that all equipment is in good working order, that the vehicle provides a seat for the Examiner next to the operator, and that the vehicle provides a seat for the sponsor. Record the make, model and registration number of the vehicle being used for the road test.
4. Apply RMV policy and demonstrate good customer service skills in determining when to refuse to conduct a road test.
5. Conduct competency road test exams, following criteria prescribed by the Registrar, to determine if a driver's license applicant has the necessary knowledge and skill that deems them eligible for a Massachusetts passenger or motorcycle license. Request the applicant perform specific driving functions, prescribed by the Registrar.
The skills tested include, but are not limited to:
Starting the engine, starting and stopping the vehicle, parking parallel to the curb, backing the vehicle up in a straight line for approximately 50 feet, making left and right hand turns, starting and stopping the vehicle on a hill, turning the vehicle around on a hill, entering and leaving intersections, recognizing and obeying traffic rules, and hand signals. Evaluate the applicant's skills and ability to drive safely and in control.
6. Determine if the applicant is required to have adaptive equipment and/or restrictions added to the driver's license.
7. Record road test result on the license application, permit and on any other necessary documentation. Endorse permits and license applications following RMV policies. Issue temporary licenses to qualified applicants.
8. Notify the applicant of the road test result, if needed provide a reason for a failure. Explain the next step in the license process including how and where to complete the transaction.
9. Compile all required documentation from road tests following RMV policy/procedures and enter the required road test information on the Automatic and License and Registration system.
10. Perform Motorcycle Rider Education (MREP) School compliance visits to ensure schools are following MREP and Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) policy and procedure as prescribed by the MREP policy guide and the MSF curriculum guidelines.
This position will be based at the Registry of Motor Vehicles - Watertown Service Center. In addition, the selected candidate will be required to conduct weekly road tests at the Registry of Motor Vehicles - Watertown Service Center and the selected candidate will provide coverage as business needs dictate within the Central region, including the following locations: Lowell, Leominster, Milford and Worcester.
If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact Felis DePina, Human Resources, at 857-368-8516.
All job applications must be submitted online through MassCareers to be considered. If you need an accommodation to complete the application electronically please contact, the ADA Coordinator, Rita DiNunzio at 857-368-
Upon a conditional offer of employment, applicants must agree to and successfully satisfy: (i) a comprehensive name-based and fingerprint-based background check of his/her state and federal criminal history records information from all U.S. states, the District of Columbia and certain U.S. Territories and from some foreign nations; (ii) an employment reference check, and (iii) a satisfactory review of his/her driving records to be eligible for this position.
This requisition will remain open until filled; however, first consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days.
Minimum Entrance Requirements:
Applicants must have at least two years’ experience as a validly licensed driver with a good driving record that is free of license suspension or revocation due to a moving motor vehicle violation within the last ten years and the ability to pass a Criminal Offender Records Information (CORI) check.
1. Possession of a current and valid Massachusetts Class D Motor Vehicle Operator’s License.
For purposes of bargaining unit designation, Unit 6 is equivalent to MassDOT Unit D.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Official Title: Driver's License Examiner
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Watertown-550 Arsenal Street
Job: Administrative Services
Agency: Massachusetts Department of Transportation
Job Posting: Apr 11, 2019, 2:51:42 PM
Number of Openings: 1
Salary: 45,335.94 - 65,743.60 Yearly
If you have Diversity, Affirmative Action or Equal Employment Opportunity questions or need a Reasonable Accommodation, please contact Diversity Officer / ADA Coordinator: Derrick Mann, 857-368-8541/ADA Coordinator: Rita DiNunzio - 857-368-8738
Bargaining Unit: DOT