We want a highly motivated, reliable, and skilled individual to join the Community Services Department for the position of
Parks and Open Space Worker I (Hourly) with the City of Mountain View. You will join a fast-paced, dynamic team
environment. You will perform a wide variety of patrol and related duties informing the public about City land, trail use
regulations, and etiquette to ensure safe and efficient access for the public and staff. The position is also responsible for
performing and assisting with some unskilled and semiskilled maintenance work. You may also make minor repairs to park
amenities and provide exceptional customer service. This is a part time position with 29 hours or less worked each week.
Most shifts are scheduled for nights, weekends and holidays.
What You Bring
- One year of experience requiring frequent public contact and customer service and the interpretation of rules and
- Education equivalent to the completion of the 12th grade.
- Possession of a valid California Class C Driver License.
- Experience in the protection, operation, or maintenance of a park, forest, or public recreation area is highly desirable.
Who You Are
- You have good use and knowledge of English and spelling.
- You have knowledge of the techniques for providing a high level of customer service to the public and City staff, in
person and over the telephone.
- You are effective at dealing with a variety of groups and individuals.
- You are familiar with the principles and practices of safe work and driving.
- You are a multi-tasker who is able to juggle multiple priorities with proven project and time management skills.
- You know how to talk to people.
- You have the ability to identify problems, research and analyze relevant information, and develop and present
recommendations and justifications for solution.
- You are an individual who is self-motivated, team oriented, reliable and able to thrive in a fast-paced work
- You can operate modern office equipment including computer equipment and software programs.
- You are able to establish, maintain, and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in
the course of work.
- You have the ability to organize work and set priorities.
- You can prepare clear and concise reports, correspondence, and other written materials.
- You exercise independent judgment.
- You have excellent communication skills.
- You have the ability to anticipate the customers’ needs and deliver services effectively.
- You are adept at juggling multiple priorities and projects in order to meet targeted deadlines.
What You’ll Do
- Patrol and monitor an assigned area to ensure safe and proper use of City lands and facilities, and deter crime and
misuse of City lands and facilities by maintaining a highly visible presence.
- Observe situations and reports suspicious criminal activity or hazardous conditions to proper authority.
- Greet and engage the public and provides information, directions, and assistance in variety of situations.
- Inform and educate public about City ordinances, codes, and regulations; issue verbal warnings.
- Monitor use of barbecue areas to ensure compliance with barbecue reservation procedures.
- Provide assistance at special functions and events.
- Assist in the maintenance of trails and open space such as performing and/or assisting with minor repairs, painting
over graffiti, and removing debris and trash from the trails and roadways.
- Complete incident reports, daily logs, and perform related recordkeeping duties.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Are You Ready? Apply.
Submit your application and resume online at www.calopps.org or to the Human Resources Division ; City of Mountain
View, 500 Castro Street, Mountain View, CA 94041, (650) 903-6309.
Application materials will be screened on a continuous basis. The most appropriately qualified candidates will be invited to a
department interview. Depending on the number of applicants this process may be altered. This recruitment is subject to
close at any time. Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply early!
- Limited to 29 hours per week and up to 1,000 hours per fiscal year
- Flexible shifts, seven days a week between the hours of 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m.
- Most shifts are worked on nights and weekends.
Candidates with a disability who may require special assistance in any phase of the application or testing process should advise the Human
Resources Division upon submittal of application. Documentation of the need for accommodation must accompany the request. The City
of Mountain View is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
Prior to hire, candidates will be required to successfully complete a pre-employment process, including employment verification, a
reference check, a criminal history questionnaire, a 10-year DMV printout, medical exam, employment verification and a Department of
Justice (DOJ) fingerprint check. A conviction history will not necessarily disqualify an applicant from appointment; however, failure to
disclose a conviction will result in disqualification or termination.
CITY OF MOUNTAIN VIEW
PARKS AND OPEN SPACE WORKER I (HOURLY)
Please answer the following questions and submit with your application. Please limit your
responses to one page per each question or less.
1. Shoreline at Mountain View is open to the public from 6:00 a.m. until 30 minutes after sunset seven days a
week including holidays. Shifts may go until midnight due to facility rentals. Please indicate your availability
based on this schedule. Be specific.
2. Do you have at least one (1) year of experience in construction or field maintenance work? If so, please
describe your experience.