The Maintenance Technician is responsible for the general appearance and maintenance of the physical property and for ensuring the efficient operation of the property on a daily basis. He/she must maintain a good working relationship with all other staff members, maintain a good rapport with current and prospective residents as well as contract and outside vendors. This position reports to the Maintenance Supervisor, or the Property Manager.
1. Test all emergency lighting in accordance with the preventive maintenance manual procedures.
2. Check exterior of buildings for any maintenance problems. Replace light bulbs as necessary.
3. Check vacant apartments for needed repairs and complete those repairs.
4. Grout tiles and caulk tub/toilet/sink as necessary.
5. Repair and replace locks and dead bolt locks as needed. Rotate locks at turnover.
6. Check all doors and windows for proper operation and weather stripping, paying particular attention to all fire doors and building entry doors.
7. Repair and replace windows and screens.
Unplug toilets and drains.
Replace toilet repair kits.
Replace faucets, seats and washers.
General plumbing repairs.
Replace/repair garbage disposals.
Handle general electrical repairs.
Replace light switches, fixtures, outlets and fuses.
Replace phone jacks.
Replace/repair exit lighting.
10. Prepare trash dumpsters for scheduled pick-up:
Maintain log of trash pick-ups to verify billing
11. Common area and Apartment Work Requests:
Work requests must be picked up at the office and completed within 24 hours. All requests must be in writing issued by the Property Manager or his/her designee.
Delays in completing work requests must be communicated to the resident and the Property Manager.
Return work requests to office upon completion.
Sheetrock repair, paint & texture
General carpentry & drywall repairs
General repair & replacement of appliances
Air conditioners: clean filters, compressors and condenser coils
All general heating control repairs
14. Boiler/Mechanical room:
Maintain in clean condition.
Be familiar with operational procedures of heating systems.
Check and record daily operations of heating systems on boiler log.
Be familiar with operational procedures of hot water heater.
Sweep & clean floors as necessary.
15. Be familiar with the location of power, water and gas turnoff valves, clean-out traps, fire extinguishers and fire hydrants on the property.
16. Snow Removal.
Shoveling snow from the steps, sidewalks, and walkways around all buildings. All snow is to be removed by 7:00 a.m. Remain on Snow Removal duty until all the snow is cleared from the entire property.
ApplyIce Melt to steps and walkways when slippery.
Report shoveling and ice removal activities to the Property Manager for entry in the maintenance log.
17. Preventive maintenance:
Be familiar with and follow preventive maintenance manual procedures .
Initiate repairs to prevent a greater future expense.
Furnace filter replacement according to the preventive maintenance manual.
18. Help caretaker with heavier duties.
19. Assist with Corporate Furniture moving as directed by Property Manager
20. Carry pager for maintenance emergencies and contact with office. Be on-call as scheduled by management for after hours emergencies.
21. Each employee must take pride in their site and keep debris off grounds and out of hallways and entrances. If each employee works together, the site will remain a desirable place to live for everyone.
22. Other duties as assigned by manager.
QUALIFICATIONS: (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Training and Experience.)
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
One to three months’ related experience in maintenance required.
High school diploma or equivalent, preferred
Valid drivers’ license, ability to drive and insurance required.
Ability to use hand and power tools.
Basic knowledge of electrical and plumbing systems, and painting procedures.
Good safety habits.
Ability to communicate in English clearly with the others orally and in writing.
Able to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Able to write simple correspondence.
Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients and other employees.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to frequently lift or move 20-70 pounds regularly, more on occasion.
Ability to often move appliances and heavy machinery correctly and safely.
Ability to frequently, walk steps, climb ladders, scaffolding, ramps, poles, etc.
Frequent kneeling or bending.
Valid driver’s license, ability to drive, insurance.
Ability to maintain equilibrium when working in high places.
Stooping, requiring full use of lower extremities and back muscles.
Frequent reaching and extending of arms and hands.
Frequent handling of items of various sizes and weights. Must be able to seize, hold grasp, turn or otherwise work with one or both hands. Fingers involved only to the extent that they are an extension of the hands.
Frequent crouching down and forward by bending legs and back.
Work environment is indoor/outdoor work as needed. Temperature ranges may be very cold to very hot.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $17.00 - $20.00 per hour
- maintenance: 1 year (Preferred)
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Paid time off
Typical start time:
Typical end time:
- Bi weekly or Twice monthly
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable -- more reliable than spontaneous
- Adaptable/flexible -- enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
- Autonomous/Independent -- enjoys working with little direction
This Job Is:
- Open to applicants who do not have a high school diploma/GED
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma