SMG, the leader in privately managed public assembly facilities, has an excellent and immediate opening for the General Manager role for SMG/Montego Bay Convention Centre in Jamaica.
This individual will be responsible for leadership of the overall daily management, promotion and operation of all meeting, convention and exhibition facilities; including oversight of all operating departments including without limitation, sales, marketing, finance and accounting, human resources, food and beverage, box office, advertising, security, purchasing, event production, plant operation and maintenance, parking and related operations.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
- Establishes and maintains active contact and an effective working relationship with the Client/Contract Administrator, tenants, government departments and agencies, Convention and Visitors Bureau and/or appropriate destination marketing agencies, convention hotels, hospitality stakeholders, community and civic organizations, as well as, union representatives (where applicable) to encourage continual and regular use of the facilities.
- Demonstrated executive/leadership position in a comparable convention center, conference center or hotel.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the various aspects of management, marketing and sales, finance and culinary services in such a facility -off-shore and/or resort experience a plus
- Monitors compliance with all provisions of SMG's management services contract and develops and implements facility goals in accordance with the contract, the Client's objectives, corporate policy, and good business practice.
- Plans, organizes, coordinates and directs all activities and personnel engaged in maintaining and operating the facility, as well as, direction and oversight of the day-to-day operations.
- Negotiates and provides final approval on all contractual agreements with vendors and use license agreements with event organizers, hosts, managers and producers.
- Assures the coordination, implementation and administration of specific plans and programs prescribed by corporate directives, to include: matters of training and development, quality assurance, energy efficiency, safety/emergency procedures, crowd control and crisis management procedures, or other areas as required.
- Oversees the development of the annual business plan, including; event calendar, activity schedules, sales and marketing activities and goals, service objectives, and projections for attendance and/or revenue.
- Directs the development, administration and execution of all financial and operating reports including: preliminary budget, capital expenses, operating revenue, expense budgets, etc.
- Conduct weekly meetings with senior staff, as well as regular meetings with contract administrator, municipal leaders, marketing/alliance partners, budgeting and staff meetings.
- Utilize industry knowledge and best practices to collaborate with destination marketing partners including convention and visitors' bureaus, hotels, etc. to maximize utilization and economic impact of the facility.
- Utilize personal experience and industry best practices in the oversight of culinary services, whether provided "in-house" or through third party sub-contract.
- Other duties as assigned.
This individual must be a well-established leader and professional with a minimum of 5-7 years of industry experience in a senior management level position within a convention center, hotel or comparable operation. Must have a proven track record of managing and leading large scale meeting and convention facility operations with a diverse workforce. Must have a strong orientation towards hospitality/customer service for the meeting, convention and entertainment industry. Additionally, must possess working knowledge of facility operating standards, building maintenance, custodial, personnel and office management, including labor relations and union contracts (if applicable). The incumbent must be able to perform effectively under significant pressure typically associated with meeting the demands and timetables of the industry. Must demonstrate business acumen with a client/customer service focus, and ability to communicate effectively in both written and public speaking forums. Bachelor's Degree (BA or BS) from a four-year accredited college or university with major course work in business or public administration or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience with Labor negotiations desirable, based on venue location and collective bargaining agreements.
Core Competencies & Characteristics:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or abilities required.
Other skills and abilities may apply, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- Experience in marketing of convention and trade show facilities, and operations management, and related activities.
- Developed successful relationships with organizers of conventions, trade shows, and meeting planners, hotel general managers, Convention and Visitors Bureaus, Chambers of Commerce, and various community interest groups is critical.
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial focus and commitment to the customer and the ability to instill this focus and commitment in all department personnel, in-house vendors, and support personnel.
- Demonstrated record in working in partnership with Convention and Visitors Bureaus and the hotel and hospitality sectors to market the Convention Center to maximize economic impact on the community.
- Demonstrated record in working in partnership within the exposition, tradeshow and meeting/convention industry.
- Ability to evaluate service delivery, organizational structures, and operating capability, as well as recommending innovative organizational changes.
- Effective written and verbal communication especially comfortable with public speaking.
- Experience in developing and managing the budgets of convention and exposition facilities.
- Additionally, possess superior interpersonal and communicative skills to provide professional expertise and guidance to enable the facility owner(s) and tourism officials to consider policy issues in an informed, anticipatory, and timely manner.
- Solid personnel management and labor relations skills.
- Be familiar with, and committed to, relevant goal-setting (with accountable benchmarks) and strategic planning processes.
- Have a clear understanding and acceptance of the principles and relationships of municipal agencies and the ability to work effectively in an active policy-administrative-citizen-participative governmental process.
- Experience with capital plans, convention facility construction, bonds, and complex budgets.
- Bachelor's Degree (BA) from a four-year accredited college or university
- Minimum 5 years' experience in senior management level position or equivalent combination of education and experience within a convention center, hotel or comparable operation.
Computer skills including proficiency with Microsoft Office programs.
This position will work with limited supervision and will require the ability to interact with all levels of staff including senior management. Requires ability to work flexible hours, including nights, weekends and holidays, in addition to normal business hours.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to move around the facility; to stand for long hours during events; talk and hear. This position may require work inside or outside of the building and may require heavy lifting, climbing, carrying and stooping as needed by events.
The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
Please send resumes and salary requirements to:
300 Conshohocken State Road, Suite 450
West Conshohocken, PA 19428
Applicants that need reasonable accommodations to complete the application process may contact 620-729-1023.
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled