Primary Objective of Position
To supervise shift personnel and the production of plastic products on assigned shifts according to specifications in a safe, timely and efficient manner. To foster an environment of continuous learning and improvement through leadership and by example.
Major Areas of Responsibility
- Directs and supervises production employees in the set-up and operation of production equipment to produce plastics parts according to quality standards.
- Organizes and schedules work to best utilize skills, knowledge, experience and machine availability in order to obtain the most favorable production costs, quality and workmanship.
- Assumes responsibility for ongoing development of production personnel by organizing and supporting OTJ (on-the-job) training activities such as equipment operation, manufacturing techniques, safety, SPC, Thrive, recycling, etc.
- Provides daily participation in and support of Safety/Loss Control activities by maintaining a safe working environment, requiring safety work practices, instilling safety awareness, thoroughly investigating incidents and returning injured associates to work as soon as possible. Regular participation in monthly Safety Committee meetings is also expected.
- Analyzes and diagnoses machine malfunctions, tooling problems, delays, etc. and implements corrective procedures to expedite work, prevent downtime and interruption of production schedules. Oversees machine set-up and maintenance activities as needed.
- Coordinates quality control and inspection procedures within production area in order to assure conformance to customer specifications. Leads and completes CAPA’s and RCCA’s on time as required.
- Maintains effective communications with Company personnel on production performance, capacity or problems encountered with products.
- Assumes responsibility for plant operation and building security on assigned shift in order to ensure continued production and to safeguard company property.
- Assures up-to-date and accurate production records including Bluebook and Product Structures in IFS.
- Fosters an environment of ongoing continuous improvement. Participating in Kaizen events and other CI activities as assigned.
- Assures accurate payroll records and manages time and attendance records including overtime, absences, paid days off (PDO), etc.
- Every employee is expected to support the Quality Management System (QMS) in accordance with our Quality System Manual and Documented Procedures. This position is responsible to set, follow and maintain the QMS and related Documented Procedures.
- 4-year degree or equivalent experience and/or education.
- 3+ years of production supervisory experience
- Plastic extrusion manufacturing experience strongly preferred.
- Experience in a union environment also desired.
- Demonstrated knowledge of manufacturing methods.
- Strong organization skills to coordinate work flow.
- Ability to manage time and set priorities effectively.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Responsibility for Work of Others
Directly supervises employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s and Union’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities may include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Ability to occasionally lift (weekly) up to 25 pounds and rarely lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to stand, walk, bend, stoop, reach, twist and carry tools or materials.
- Regular, predictable attendance is an essential function of this position.
Salaried (exempt) employees are expected to work an average of 45 or more hours per week unless otherwise determined by their Manager.
Job Type: Full-time
- Manufacturing Supervisor: 3 years (Required)
- Union environment: 1 year (Preferred)
- Plastic extrusion manufacturing: 1 year (Preferred)
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Evening (Preferred)
- Graveyard (Preferred)
- Mid-Day (Preferred)
- Morning (Preferred)