Brooklyn Technical High School is the nation’s largest specialized public high school for STEM. Its 6,000 students are admitted through a competitive entrance examination. The Brooklyn Tech Alumni Foundation (BTAF) has had success in raising considerable funds to support organizational development and school-based programs. As the Foundation has built its fundraising programs, there is a recognition that major donors have provided a significant portion of the funds raised. Those donations, albeit from alumni and/or corporate sources, continue to be fertile ground for future development.
The Brooklyn Tech Alumni Foundation is seeking a full-time Director of Major Giving (includes major donors, corporate sponsors and legacy giving) who is high-energy, detail-oriented, a focused leader with an entrepreneurial spirit who can develop and execute successful strategies in the identification, cultivation, stewardship, and solicitation of major donors. The Director will create new major donor pipeline strategies, establish measurable goals and objectives, develop relationships with major donors and prospects, and build-on and conduct, where appropriate, extensive prospective research for major and corporate donors.
The Director will report to the Executive Director. The Director will interact as needed with other office staff to achieve fundraising goals which will be established during the budget preparation cycle per annum. The Director will be accountable for achieving or exceeding a Major Donor Development target established during the budget preparation cycle.
- Bachelor’s degree (minimum) and related work experience, including nonprofit fundraising and development;
- At least 3 years of fundraising experience, with a focus on major donor development and a proven track record in gifts cultivation, solicitation and successful fundraising;
- Very strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Collaborative and engaging work style with strong people skills;
- Strong ability to set priorities, manage projects and meet deadlines;
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively around generating new fundraising opportunities;
- Strong time-management and problem-solving skills;
- Strong research and writing skills;
- Proficiency in Raiser’s Edge, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Research new major donor, corporate and legacy giving prospects;
- Develop creative strategies for major donor cultivation, such as donor briefings, cultivation events, smaller fundraisers, strategic partnerships and engagement projects; manage all follow-up activities and record results;
- Establish face to face contact with potential major donors and cultivate stewardships.
- Plan year over year growth in development and managing a donor development expense target;
- Manage funding-proposal prospects, reporting, and renewal pipeline;
- Reach new and wider audiences; follow-up with all new major donor prospects and leads generated, focusing on those with highest giving potential and greatest likelihood of long-term engagement.
- Work with designated staff on social media and snail mail outreach as appropriate;
- Orient new Board members to their fundraising responsibilities and ensure that they receive the support they need to be successful volunteer fundraisers;
- Train and assist Board members to develop relationships with potential and current major donors
- Provide high level project management and problem-solving support, and build and replenish prospect portfolios to attract funding;
- Provide support to board members, appropriate task force chairs and executive leadership to meet information needs;
- Establish recognition for major donors for their efforts.
Hours – The Office is open from 7:30 AM to 6 PM; full time work hours will be determined based on optimal time necessary to do the job. There will be days when hours exceed the regular work day. Occasional reimbursed travel outside of NYC and local travel will be required.
Vacation and Sick Days
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $72,000.00 to $90,000.00 /year
- relevant: 3 years (Required)
- Health insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off