Full Job Description
The 34th Street Partnership and Bryant Park Corporation are hiring part-time, seasonal staff responsible for overseeing game areas in our parks and public spaces. Game areas are designated zones for playing board games, lawn games, ping pong, putting, and doing art projects. Hosts serve two valuable functions:
- Act as an ambassador of the parks and public spaces and interact with the public.
- Facilitate activities, which includes being aware of the rules of play, actively demonstrating and explaining games to participants, enforcing area rules, managing inventory, and maintaining equipment.
Responsibilities for each game area vary slightly but all include: setting up each area at the start of the day and making it available for public use; maintaining appearance of game areas throughout the day by cleaning equipment, picking up litter, and neatly storing equipment not in use; engaging the public, fostering participation, and ensuring respectful use of the space; considering ways to improve the activities offered to the public, then reporting observations accurately and comprehensively to supervisor. Hosts can expect to work at most, if not all, of the game areas at some point during their employment.
Hosts are expected to uphold the employer’s mission: to create a rich and dynamic visual, cultural, and intellectual outdoor experience for New Yorkers and visitors alike in some of the greatest public spaces in the world. Successful hosts may have opportunities for growth, including working in the Bryant Park and 34th Street Partnership executive office, proposing new programs for the public, and supervising daily operations.
Applicants can preview these game areas by visiting bryantpark.org or 34thstreet.org and looking under the ‘Things to Do’ tab.
Hosts work 20-40 hours per week. Pay is $15 / hour.
- BA preferred – consideration given to undergraduate work plus experience in recreation, coaching or park management
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; ability to work in a team environment
- Willingness and desire to get hands dirty
- Outgoing, playful, mature, positive and proactive
- Experience in customer service
- Responsible and detail-oriented with excellent observation skills
- Ability and willingness to work exclusively outside and stand for long periods of time
- Ability to lift 25 pounds or more
- Ability and willingness to work evenings and weekends
- Ability and willingness to staff large Bryant Park events, including Movie Nights and Musical Chairs
- Ability to update an online spreadsheet on a tablet to document visitor counts and daily observations
- Access to a cell phone with photo and texting capability
- Access and responsiveness to email
- Communicate politely and positively with the public and serve as an ambassador of the park
- Maintain appearance of game areas and equipment
- Facilitate game play and enforce area and park rules
- Report equipment needs and behavior incidents in a timely manner
- On a daily basis, setup and take down free activities offered to the public
- Record and report the number of participants
- Staff special events or tournaments
- Take direction from management staff regarding special assignments
This position begins with a three-week trial period. Hosts who receive a passing evaluation after 3 weeks will be invited to continue in their position.
The game areas generally remain open from mid-April through October. Hours are typically 11am to 7pm with some exceptions for special events. Preference will be given to candidates with more flexibility in their schedules, and a genuine desire to work hard.
To apply, email resume and cover letter as attachments with “Games Host” in the subject line to gamesjob(at)urbanmgt.com.
Applications that do not meet these requirements will be discarded.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $15.00 to $16.00 /hour
Typical start time:
Typical end time:
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable -- more reliable than spontaneous
- People-oriented -- enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Adaptable/flexible -- enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Outcome-oriented -- results-focused with strong performance culture
- People-oriented -- supportive and fairness-focused