The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is seeking a Digital Writer / Content Producer for our Marketing & Communications department. NHMLAC is seeking a writer who loves nature, culture, and particularly science, this is an exciting opportunity to join a busy Communications team at a dynamic museum group. The Natural History Museums of Los Angeles County (NHMLAC) consist of the Natural History Museum (NHM) in Exposition Park, where the position’s office resides, La Brea Tar Pits in mid-Wilshire/Hancock Park, and the William S. Hart Museum in Newhall. Most of the content produced will be inspired by the research and collections at NHM and La Brea Tar Pits.
NHMLAC is now embarking upon an ambitious 10-year program to revitalize NHM, its historic anchor in Exposition Park, and to re-imagine the physical space and programs of its world-renowned Ice Age fossil site and museum at the La Brea Tar Pits. The neighborhoods surrounding both museums—Exposition Park and the mid-Wilshire Miracle Mile—are vibrant with cultural and entertainment developments that will enrich the lives of residents and attract visitors from across the country and around the world. This dynamism means increasing content needs for onsite and digital visitors, and an engaging writing style for broad audiences. The Digital Writer / Content Producer provides storytelling content (web, video, and some print), much of which will be science related. This role also includes general editing assistance, and some occasional marketing copy writing.
Responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
1. Finding, writing, and vetting science, nature, and culture content at three Natural History Museums of Los Angeles County institutions (Natural History Museum, La Brea Tar Pits Museum, and William S. Hart Museum), sometimes translating complicated topics into an engaging, accessible, branded museum voice.
2. Matching this content to most effective and engaging digital or print platform, complementing and amplifying overall marketing and communications strategies. These platforms could include current website (https://nhm.org/site/research-collections/news); new NHMLAC website set to launch in Spring 2019; social media; PR/media outreach; our member magazine, the Naturalist; and branded videos.
3. Meets with representatives from NHMLAC Research and Collections Department (curators, collections managers, and staff in scientific and cultural sections) to mine stories and news, and promote their accomplishments and stories, which include their papers in journals, discoveries, grants, artifacts/specimens they want to highlight, and their contributions to museum programming and exhibitions.
4. In conjunction with Marketing team, helps measure the performance of content and makes recommendations to inform digital strategy.
5. Collaborates well with other content creators and utilizes all available resources to execute innovative digital experiences superbly and under tight deadlines.
6. Builds new web pages and implements content in a Drupal-based CMS, which we’ll provide training for.
7. Works with Marketing and Communications team to define strategy and develop content for new digital features (apps, blogs, etc.) that don’t exist yet, as well as digital features to complement projects that exist already in non-digital forms.
8. Acts as a writer, and possible onscreen talent, for select audio/video content streams.
This position has the following requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- The ability to translate complicated science and research topics into engaging, accessible content for people of varying degrees of science literacy.
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience in digital content creation.
- Strong writing and proofreading skills.
- Possesses strong knowledge of the latest UI/UX best practices, as well as a strong familiarity with news/information content management systems, social media platforms and analytics tools to benchmark and measure the performance of digital content.
- Strong grasp of the best practices and latest trends in digital news media and storytelling on social platforms.
- Excellent communication and project management skills.
- Image editing (Photoshop).
- Demonstrates a deep curiosity and up-to-date knowledge of the non-profit and/or cultural institutions’ digital trends.
- Detail and deadline driven but also game to constantly push the boundaries on what we are able to do in and with digital storytelling.
- Flexible, able to shift gears at a moment’s notice, multitask and work well across teams.
- Has a great attitude, high energy, and wit.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, Photoshop, Acrobat and PowerPoint, with basic familiarity with HTML and content management systems.
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is seeking applicants who have demonstrated experience and commitment working with a diverse community. Salary is commensurate with experience plus excellent benefits. This is a full time regular, exempt position.
A cover letter, current resume, and list of 3-4 references are required for all applicants. Review of applications begins immediately and continues until position is filled. Interested candidates please visit www.nhm.org/jobs and click the link of the position for which you are interested or go directly to the online application.
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please, No Phone Calls, No Fax.