The Mental Health Associate 2 is a trained mental health professional who assumes an active role in the planning and provision of care for behavioral health patients in the emergency department, inpatient hospital units, and/or inpatient Behavioral Health Unit (BHU). For the BHU, the Mental Health Associate performs activities related to providing for the psychosocial as well as the physical needs of the patient under the direct supervision of the primary RN. The Mental Health Associate works as a vital member of the team and serves as a trusted connection for the patient.
Core Responsibilites and Essential Functions
Continuous observation of assigned “at risk” patients (including 1:1) * Establish therapeutic rapport and gain trust * Scan environment for safety and ensure the removal of sharps, cords, extra linen, food, utensils, etc. * Have expert knowledge of and ensure conformity to all safety policies/procedures (such as EC-73) * Document appropriately on observation record and medical records, noting any changes in behavior, mood, and activities * Monitor assigned Sitters in immediate area and advise as needed
- Monitor and address patient needs * Take vital signs, perform venipunctures, and/or EKGs as needed * Note subtle changes in behavior, mood, and/or activity and alert the treatment team (RN, Charge RN, MD) * Conduct appropriate searches and check-ins upon admission * Maintain knowledge of and adhere to policies/procedures regarding patient safety (seclusions, restraints, and other physical techniques) using the least restrictive measures * Incorporate verbal de-escalation techniques and diversion activities to manage behavior and emotions * Educate on healthy communication and ADL skills both individually and in groups * Perform unit/safety rounds to ensure a calm, therapeutic environment * Facilitate milieu management by coordinating scheduled activities and meals
- Keep current in professional education and training * Maintain de-escalation AVADE training and BLS certifications * Report any suggestions to improve patient care to RN, Charge RN, and/or MD * Attend monthly staff meetings, quality meetings, and other events as assigned * Complete all assigned training and competence verifications (skill days, GAMES, CBLs, etc.)
Required for All Jobs
Performs other duties as assigned
- Complies with all WellStar Health System policies, standards of work, and code of conduct.
Required Minimum Education
High school diploma or equivalent from an accredited institution Required and
- Bachelor's Degree in mental health or another related field strongly Preferred
Required Minimum Experience
minimum 1 year of clinical experience Required and
- minimum 1 year Experience in emergency department or inpatient behavioral health Preferred
Required Minimum Skills
Must be able to perform vital signs and employ de-escalation techniques.
- Must communicate effectively and be able to function as a contributing member of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Must have a working knowledge of common psychosocial and physical needs of the behavioral health patients.
Required Minimum License(s) and Certification(s)
Workplace Violence Prvtn Trng 1.00 Required 1.00
- Crisis Prevention Reqd Trng 1.00 Required 1.00
- Basic Life Support 2.00 Required 2.00
Additional Licenses and Certifications
We’d like to invite you on a career journey like no other! In return for your contributions, we’ll help you make the most of all life’s moments – on and off the job. Wellstar Total Rewards is designed to provide for your total well-being, including: Your Wellness, Your Pay, Your Future, Your Joy. We think it’s pretty simple – we care for our team members and our team members care for the community.
Make a difference in patients’ lives… and your own! Here, it’s more than healthcare – it’s CareerCare!