AMETEK, Inc. is a leading global manufacturer of electronic instruments and electromechanical devices. AMETEK is divided into two operating groups, the Electronic Instruments Group and the Electromechanical Group. The Electronic Instruments Group consists of four market groups: Process & Analytical, Aerospace, Power and Industrial. The AMETEK Materials Analysis Division is part of the Process & Analytical Group and is comprised of five business units AMPTEK, CAMECA, EDAX, SPECTRO and VISION RESEARCH, each of which are technology and quality leaders in their markets.
EDAX is a leading provider of innovative materials characterization systems encompassing Energy Dispersive Spectroscopy (EDS), Electron Backscatter Diffraction (EBSD), Wavelength Dispersive Spectrometry (WDS), and Micro X-ray Fluorescence (Micro-XRF). EDAX products include stand-alone tools, integrated tools for EDS-EBSD, EDS-WDS, and EDS-EBSD-WDS, and a free-standing Micro-XRF bench-top elemental analyzer providing small and micro-spot X-ray analysis and mapping.
This position is the primary lead on the hardware design and development of Linux embedded systems and driver development. Assures the administrative, performance, and planning targets of the Electronics group are met within the framework of professional standards, design control procedures and corporate policies.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical leadership and serve as a leading individual contributor into EDAX new embedded product development and into sustaining engineering efforts.
- Lead new product development activities as per approved product development process and best engineering practices
- Do planning for the development and sustaining engineering projects activities and track its progress.
- Coordinate development activity with consultants and outside organizations as necessary.
- Manage electrical engineering team (incl. system engineering resources).
- Select, train and supervise staff.
- Responsible for meeting project budgets, schedules and product targets.
- Publish project status reports and impact statements to Business Team for gate review & approval.
- Support preparation, maintenance and enforcement of ISO procedures: creating and reviewing work instructions, documentation control through ECR/ECN, etc.
- Liaise with Engineering Systems Administrator in related ECR/ECN & Technical Non-Standard Request (TNSR) activities.
- Maintain awareness of and be adherent to the best engineering practices and tools
- Perform all above duties in accordance with applicable ISO 9000 directives and company policy.
Required knowledge and skills:
Expertise with SoC FPGAs:
- Advanced degree in electrical engineering.
- 10+ years experience in electronics design for scientific instrumentation or for similar high-tech products as an individual contributor and with progressive supervisory responsibility.
- Familiar with and adherent to the best Engineering Design practices for digital and analog electronics systems.
- RTOS, Linux / QNX;
- Linux drivers and applications;
Good to have” skills:
- UNIX / Linux type of environment to configure / communicate with the ARM Cortex – A9 Hard Processor System (ARM HPS);
- Altera Qsys utility to custom-build the HPS sub-system and required IP components;
- Boot and configuration flow in an SoC device (Boot ROM / Preloader / Uboot Loader / Application);
- Generation of device tree for the OS kernel;
- Ability to generate and deploy software image for booting up an SoC device using available binaries and targets;
- Knowledge of interfacing, interrupts, and memory facilities for an SoC device;
- Ability to communicate with the SoC device using remote terminal / run scripts and diagnostics;
- Develop Linux drivers and applications to communicate with host computer over Ethernet;
- Understanding of communication protocols such as Ethernet, UART, USB, SPI, I2C etc;
- C++, C#, any scripting language such as Perl / Python;
- Familiarity with Altera / Xilinx programmable devices;
- Excellent documentation skills;
- Team management skills
- Knowledge of high-speed digital pulse processing and real-time systems a big plus
o RTL development using Verilog / VHDL;
o Simulation / Synthesis / Place and Route of FPGA code;
o Device Timing closure;
o Ability to read schematics / identify components;
o Basic understanding of PCB design and stack-up;
o Trouble-shooting / debugging in the lab using an oscilloscope etc.
o Mentor Graphics schematic capture capability .
o Pads PCB layout placement and routing
o Pads and Mentor graphics library parts creation and management
o PCB EMI controlled impedance design for CE emissions compliance
Knowledge of analog signal processing is a plus.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.