VA/VE Principal Manufacturing Engineer
Careers that Change Lives
Impact patient outcomes. Come for a job, stay for a career.
The VA/VE Principal Engineer (Value Analysis Value Engineering) is part of the Brain and Specialty Engineering group which will support projects related to site’s commercial products. Will facilitate VA/VE cross-functional workshops and support the execution of projects that are related to process enhancements, material changes, design changes, cost reduction or a combination of these drivers. This is a highly technical role for an engineer with mechanical design core competency to support various tooling, mechanization and automation projects.
This person will support the manufacturing sites reach targeted levels of cost saving through the timely, effective implementation of VA/VE projects.
• Lead VA/VE workshops designed to identify cost reduction opportunities from competitive benchmarking, internal benchmarking, and in-plant events.
• Support the development of business cases for cost reduction ideas, gain • • Contributes to the creation of action plans for each approved VA/VE initiative and ensures they are maintained by the project owner.
• Keep others (Colleagues, Supplier Partners, etc.) effectively informed/engaged throughout each VA/VE initiatives / projects.
Day in the life:
• Identify VA/VE opportunities and support successful completion in support of site & network goals and objectives
• Develop and present analytics to business leaders indicating opportunities and recommendations on VAVE projects to launch
• Lead VA/VE workshop events: product tear down to identify cost savings opportunities and eliminate waste through the entire value stream by using the VA/VE process: competitive reviews, customer surveys, etc. with cross functional teams based on VA/VE execution plans.
• Collaborates with internal manufacturing partners, contract manufacturers, engineers and product specialists to optimize moderately complex designs for manufacturability
• Collaborate with counterparts and team members across the organization to develop and implement system-standard work processes. Develop strong working relationships with leaders and other stakeholders including the training of other practitioners across all functional areas on VA/VE concepts (includes traveling to different RTG facilities as necessary)
• Develop strategies & execution plans related to VA/VE, document the process and create a playbook to leverage and institutionalize the process across the organization.
• Other tasks assigned by the manager
Must Have: Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering
- 7+ years of experience with Bachelors Degree OR 5+ years of experience with Masters Degree
Nice to Have
• Master’s degree strongly preferred.
• Black belt strongly preferred
• Experience in a high-volume manufacturing environment a plus
• Green Belt certified
• Working knowledge of VA/VE process and a track record of leading and executing multiple projects annually; proven record on continuous improvement projects
• Results oriented, convincing, pro-active, driven and "can do" mentality, with a proven track record of success related to this position
• Proven record of project and team management.
• Manufacturing process experience.
• Collaborative and effective team player and able to work with teams who are dispersed geographically.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel), data management software and use of project management tools / software.
• Strong written and verbal communications and must be comfortable presenting to all levels of the organization, able to express oneself clearly in technical and non-technical terms
• Proven leadership of cross functional teams.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills, including the ability to meet aggressive deadlines.
• Exceptionally productive, even in the absence of daily, direct supervision
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Demonstrated analytical skills with the ability to present data in meaningful and relevant fashion to aid in decision making process.
• Some travel may be required.
• Leadership skills to drive for results and act appropriately under pressure
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life.
We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations - but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let’s work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients’ lives. Help us shape the future.
Physical Job Requirements
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this position, but they are not an exhaustive list of all the required responsibilities and skills of this position.
The physical demands described within the Day in the Life section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.