Job Summary: Supervises and oversees transportation operations for regional location. Manage the customer service aspects of the transportation business. Manage the recruiting, hiring, and developing all drivers. Ensure adherence to D.O.T. regulations, state and federal laws and OSHA requirements. Assist in the development of local driver policies and disseminating all corporate policies.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Directs Supervisor in managing customer service aspects of business.
a. Ensures clean deliveries to units.
b. Responds to all customer requests within 24 hours. Important issues which cannot be easily resolved are brought to the immediate attention of the Vice President of Operations. All issues resolved.
2. Assists HR and Operations in recruiting, maintaining and developing drivers.
a. Maintains employment level at budgeted projection. Ensures low level of turnover.
b. Develops a crew of casual drivers to average of your full- time staff for that position.
c. Identifies and develops potential driver management candidates, through existing driver
d. Develops quarterly goals and provides written feedback quarterly on colleague’s performance to goals.
e. Provides appropriate development when goals are not being met.
f. Communicate employee status changes, leave of absences, injuries, accidents, terminations, and other employee related documentation in a timely fashion to HR as necessary.
3. Maximizing truck and labor potential.
a. Establishes routes to maintain proper truck utilization (Standard: 72 hours per
week/Goal: 100 per week).
c. Strives for 1,000 cubes per truck, for average load weight of 28,000# during current
business. Weight of loads subject to change as business dictates.
d. Schedules drivers no less than 40 hours per week and no more than 50 hours per week
4. Ensures adherence to all D.O.T. guidelines.
a. Ensures compliance.
b. Ensures all accident report procedures are properly followed.
c. Ensures that all drivers pass pre-employment tests, road and written tests as required
by driver hire package.
5. Manages company and warehouse policies.
a. Ensures transportation department follow all Ferraro Foods corporate policies.
b. Ensure drivers follow all driver procedures to meet safety goals and ensure delivery schedule.
c. Reviews and approves all driver invoices and credits charged to transportation operations.
Supplemental Job Functions:
1. Manage staff; plans, directs, staffs and controls a major department or service area, unit or
2. Organizes and checks own work. Occasionally refers problems to supervisor.
3. Takes actions and/or makes recommendations that have an indirect impact on budgeted
4. Analyzes data to determine solutions or resolve discrepancies.
5. Frequently (40% to 60%) exercises independent thought which is applied to a variety of
recurring problems, covered by standardized practices and procedures.
8. Responsible for identifying and recommending changes in departmental policies and practices.
9. Continuous contact with customers or vendors requiring provision of services, explanations,
decisions or the obtaining of routine approvals.
10. Requires frequent contact with employees in other departments to require explanations or
obtain routine approvals.
11. Job requirements or actions include major responsibility for insuring safety requirements and
standards are in compliance with Company policies.
12. Job requirements include monitoring and/or using corrective measures to improve safety
13. Intermittent involvement in discussions requiring the reconciliation of adverse points of view
14. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals,
technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business
correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and
respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
15. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions,
percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and
16. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written,
oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in
Minimum Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
2. 2-4 years experience in Transportation.
3. Proficient computer skills.
4. Knowledge of DOT, FDA, FMCSA and OSHA regulations.
5. Excellent communications skills, written and verbal.
6. Organizational skills.
7. Evaluation skills.
1. Exposure to non-weather wet or humid conditions, work near moving mechanical parts,
outdoor weather conditions and/or extreme cold (non-weather) under 1/3 of the time.
2. Moderate noise (examples: business office with computers and printers, light traffic).
3. Limited or intermittent visual/auditory attention, or limited lifting, standing or moving of
4. Under 1/3 of the time spent standing; walking; sitting; using hands to finger, handle or feel;
reaching with hands and arms; climbing or balancing; stooping, kneeling, crouching or
crawling; tasting or smelling.
5. Talking or hearing performed during 1/3 to 2/3 of the time.
6. Lifting 10 – 50 pounds under 1/3 of the time.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Vision insurance
- Transportation: 4 years (Preferred)
- CDL A (Preferred)
- CDL B (Required)
Work Location: One location