Trimble is recruiting for an Embedded Software Engineering Manager to fill an opportunity in Sunnyvale, CA.
Trimble is an exciting, entrepreneurial company, with a history of exceptional growth coupled with a disciplined and strategic focus on being the best. While GPS is at our core, we have grown beyond this technology to embrace other sophisticated positioning technologies and, in doing so; we are changing the way the world works. Our solutions are used in over 140 countries and we have incredibly diverse lines of business.
Our employees represent this diversity and can be found in over 30 countries, working closely with their colleagues around the world. Due to our geographic, product and customer reach, there is plenty of room at Trimble for exceptional people to grow. Come position yourself with an innovative industry leader and position yourself for success.
The Team & Our Products
The Ag In-Field-Solutions engineering team builds precision farming systems, including displays and automated guidance systems for agricultural vehicles. Farmers use our guidance systems to automatically steer their tractors with highly accurate GPS/GNSS based control. Our display systems automatically control farm implements performing operations like planting seeds, spraying fertilizer and measuring crop yield, in an optimal way based on soil conditions and agronomist prescriptions. Our displays send the farm data to our web-based farm and fleet management system Trimble Ag Business Software. We save water, fuel, chemicals and time and increase crop yields along the way.
You will be responsible for leading and managing a team of engineers to develop and release software for our agricultural GPS/GNSS receivers, guidance controllers and display systems. This is a hands-on role, in which you will develop software alongside your team while providing technical leadership.
- Work with the product manager to understand the needs of the customers, resellers and internal stakeholders. Collaborate to design and deliver new software features.
- Lead a geographically distributed team of software engineers and testers.
- Provide clear priorities and direction to your team, even when you are presented with multiple priorities to juggle. Enable effective execution by your team.
- Develop trust with your direct reports. Grow the capabilities of your team through coaching. Provide opportunities through delegation. Advocate for your team members growth.
- Lead and participate in architecture, design and code reviews across multiple software teams.
- Coordinate with the cross functional teams (hardware, software, operations, testing, field support, and sales) to deliver business value to farmers (our customers).
- Work with OEM customers (tractor manufacturers) to develop and support customized variants of our products
- Anything else that comes up! Embrace change!
Required Skills (you will use these skills regularly)
- Leading and managing a team of software engineers
- Programming in real-time embedded systems
- Developing software in 'C' and 'C++'
- Good software architecture skills. Understanding how to do things properly, and judgement of when it is acceptable to take shortcuts. Coaching team members to develop this judgement.
- Deep diving to understand linkages and make code changes in large codebases with 20+ developers. Coaching team members to develop these skills.
Preferred Skills (you will manage engineers who use these skills)
- Knowledge of agriculture
- Developing software in Java for Android
- GNSS algorithms. Estimation and controls algorithms. Sensor fusion.
- Serial or CAN protocols
- Device drivers
- GDB/GCC toolchain and hardware debuggers
- Android UI Development
BS in Science, Engineering or related field with a minimum of 5 years developing software plus 3 years managing software developers. Prefer 10+ years of experience.
Trimble is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws, or any other protected factor. EOE/M/F/V/D