The Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School of Greater Washington is seeking a part-time (20 hours/week, benefits eligible) special educator who is fluent in Hebrew to work in our Middle School for the 2022-2023 school year. Expertise in remediation of Hebrew reading and multisensory teaching is required. In addition to providing remedial support to students in Hebrew and Judaic Studies, the learning specialist will work closely with classroom teachers and parents.
The Learning Specialist will be part of a team of other special educators that work at the school through the Educational Support Services Department, providing a variety of strategies and interventions to students with diverse learning needs, both in and out of the classroom setting.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide direct support services to students during Learning Lab and/or in their mainstream classrooms.
- Use on-going diagnostic prescriptive teaching methods to assist students in developing skills and strategies to become successful lifelong learners.
- Provide support and intervention in the areas of executive functioning and self-advocacy skills.
- Provide support to teachers on differentiated instruction and classroom accommodations.
- Appraise student learning levels and needs and establish learning objectives to address these needs.
- Communicate regularly with parents of students on caseload.
Job Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
The ideal candidate should have:
- Masters Degree in Special Education from an accredited university.
- At least 3-5 years experience working with students with learning differences.
- A high level of interpersonal skills to work with staff and parents dealing with sensitive and confidential issues concerning a childs learning differences.
- A commitment to helping students develop a growth mindset
- Experience in conducting parent meetings.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Fluency in English is required as well as a solid proficiency in writing in English.
- Candidate must demonstrate a commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice (DEIJ).
To learn more about the School, visit https://www.cesjds.org/about/work-at-cesjds
- Faculty may be asked to perform their work responsibilities on campus and/or at home. In both settings, the teacher is required to maintain a professional environment.
- While on campus, classes may be operating either in person or in an alternative setting. Teachers are expected to be present and accessible for the entire school day (contracted hours), regardless of the setting.
- In accordance with the School's duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, the School has adopted a mandatory Vaccination Policy to safeguard the health of our employees and their families and the community at large from infectious diseases such as COVID-19 and the flu, which may be reduced by annual vaccinations. This policy complies with all applicable laws and is based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and local health authorities, as applicable.
The Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate all applicants without unlawful consideration of race, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. The School encourages candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Location: 11710 Hunters Lane, Rockville, MD 20852
Job Type: Part-time