**OPEN TO PERMANENT CLERICAL ASSOCIATES ONLY.
The NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH) is an agency recognized worldwide for being a leader in public health. The Bureau of Vital Statistics is responsible for registering and certifying all birth, deaths, spontaneous and induced terminations of pregnancy in NYC. The bureau issues, analyzes and reports on 285,000 vital events each year. The bureau is a very large customer service operation, providing death certification services on a 24/7 basis, issuing more than 900,000 certified copies of birth and death records, and fulfilling hundreds of data requests annually.
Duties will include but not be limited to:
- Review application requests for orders submitted in person, Currently staff from other units are assigned to assist with processing online orders when possible. This creates backlogs in other types of orders and potential delays with online orders. The position directly impacts the timely completion of 50,000 mailed customer orders, 150,000 online orders and 100,000 in-person customers. Vacancies directly impact the unit’s ability to provide high levels of customer service to customers who need assistance with their orders and to process orders within agency turnaround time targets. The position is necessary to maintain fast turnaround times, reduce customer complaints about delays, increase customer satisfaction, and is part of team of staff that generates more than 4.5M per year in revenue.
- Provide courteous and professional customer service to all customers at all times.
- Validate, search, match and approve the request for issuance.
- Review requests that are submitted with documentary evidence, determine eligibility and approve for issuance.
- Adhere to and sign the BVS confidentiality form.
- Adhere to the standards of certified paper protocols.
- Adhere to the standards for the reconciliation of online orders.
- Adhere to the standards for printing and mailing of Vital Records.
- Provide training to staff on the current business processes or changes that occur in the unit.
- Train, learn and participate in the testing/usage of OVRS's processing systems.
- Learn to complete all business processes in the eVital system.
- Participate in trainings that will enhance skill-sets and professional development.
- Provide customer support to in-person customers as assigned.
Minimum Qual Requirements
A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent approved by a State's department of education or a recognized accrediting organization and one year of satisfactory clerical experience.
Keyboard familiarity with the ability to type at a minimum of 100 key strokes (20 words) per minute.
- Must be comfortable working in a dynamic atmosphere handling multiple concurrent activities displaying excellent attention to details
- Work well with a team to meet deadlines and analyze problems and potentially difficult scenarios
- Knowledge of detailed record keeping systems
- Excellent oral, written, administrative and customer service skills
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Programs such as Word, Excel and Access
- Ability to speak Spanish or a language other than English is a plus.
**IMPORTANT NOTES TO ALL CANDIDATES:
If you are called for an interview you will be required to bring to your interview copies of original documentation, such as:
- A document that establishes identity for employment eligibility, such as: A Valid U.S. Passport, Permanent Resident Card/Green Card, or Driver’s license.
- Proof of Education according to the education requirements of the civil service title.
- Current Resume
- Proof of Address/NYC Residency dated within the last 60 days, such as: Recent Utility Bill (i.e. Telephone, Cable, Mobile Phone)
Additional documentation may be required to evaluate your qualification as outlined in this posting’s “Minimum Qualification Requirements” section. Examples of additional documentation may be, but not limited to: college transcript, experience verification or professional trade licenses.
If after your interview you are the selected candidate you will be contacted to schedule an on-boarding appointment. By the time of this appointment you will be asked to produce the originals of the above documents along with your original Social Security card.
The federal government provides student loan forgiveness through its Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF) to all qualifying public service employees. Working with the DOHMH qualifies you as a public service employee and you may be able to take advantage of this program while working full-time and meeting the program’s other requirements.
Please visit the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program site to view the eligibility requirements:
"FINAL APPOINTMENTS ARE SUBJECT TO OFFICE OF MANAGEMENT & BUDGET APPROVAL”
Apply online with a cover letter to https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov/. In the Job ID search bar, enter: job ID number # 440227.
We appreciate the interest and thank all applicants who apply, but only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
The NYC Health Department is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and culturally responsive workforce. We strongly encourage people of color, people with disabilities, veterans, women, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender and gender non-conforming persons to apply.
All applicants will be considered without regard to actual or perceived race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, marital or parental status, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, age, prior record of arrest; or any other basis prohibited by law.
This position is open to qualified persons with a disability who are eligible for the 55-a Program. Please indicate in your resume that you would like to be considered for the position under the 55-a Program.
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.