WHO WE ARE
At UnCruise, we work together to support and build a brand that provides an enriching adventure travel experience that inspires an appreciation of local cultures and the natural world. Sometimes that means we kayak among icebergs, travel to hidden waterfalls with a local guide or snorkel with sea lions, dive with manta rays and share air with whales. Our destinations include Alaska, Columbia & Snake Rivers, Costa Rica & Panama, Galapagos, Hawaiian Islands, Mexico’s Sea of Cortes and Pacific Northwest. Every employee plays a major role in bringing the adventure to life. When you join our team, you become an important part of our uniqueness.
The Steward is a multi-talented and hard-working position. Main job responsibilities include: meal services including wine pairings, cleaning of guest cabins and interior public spaces, assisting with bartending/cocktail service, and occasional galley duties. This is an extremely guest service focused position and requires a pleasant and accommodating demeanor at all times. The steward role is physically demanding and mentally challenging. The right candidate for this role will be able to constantly adapt to new situations while maintaining a positive attitude and professional demeanor.
APPLY ONLINE: https://www.uncruise.com/apply
Dining Room Service – We strive for fine dining in a casual atmosphere:
- Describe menu options and answer questions and make suggestions based off of guest needs.
- Discuss and recommend wine pairings with lunch and dinner service.
- Set up and breakdown dining room for three meals per day.
- Bus tables and perform daily side work as needed.
- Assist in galley as directed including dish duty and cleaning.
- Provide exceptional guest service. Model the values and expectations set for crew members.
- Thoroughly clean between six and ten guest cabins daily.
- Maintain cleanliness of all interior public spaces.
Safety, Security & Training:
- Actively engage in all training and development programs.
- Comply with all vessel sanitation requirements.
- Participate in on board safety training, meetings and drills as directed by the Captain. These include fire, abandon ship, man overboard, flooding and medical emergencies.
- Maintain familiarity with all duties under the company Safety Management System including Emergency Response Activities.
- Minimum two years of experience in a full service restaurant.
- Strong wine knowledge, required.
- Basic understanding of food terminology, required.
- Two years of experience in a guest service oriented field, required.
- Passenger vessel experience is welcome but not required.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must be flexible and adaptable as daily activities change regularly and often.
Required Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Valid Passport
- CPR / First Aid / AED
- Alaska Food Handler Permit
- Alaska Alcohol Permit
- Washington Food Handler Permit (1)
- Washington Alcohol Permit (1)
- Oregon Food Handler Permit (1)
- Oregon Alcohol Permit (2)
- MARSEC Card (3)
- Valid TWIC (4)
- STCW Crowd Management (5)
- Security Awareness -or- VPDSD (5)
- Medical Fitness Certificate (6)
- BarStarts Certification (7)
- Required for Wilderness Discoverer and S.S. Legacy
- Required for Wilderness Discoverer and S.S. Legacy - Company provided upon Start-Up Training
- Required on Safari Explorer Hawaii itinerary (If you do not currently have this, there will be a training once onboard)
- Company preferred for the Safari Explorer Hawaii itinerary
- Required for Safari Voyager, Safari Quest, and Safari Endeavour; preferred for all other vessels. Company provided if needed.
- Required for Safari Voyager
- Company preferred
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Length of Work Shift- Physically able to work 12 hours per day, 7 days a week for 6 to 8 weeks at a time. Rotations off the vessel are usually 2-3 weeks.
- Mobility- Frequent bending, reaching, twisting, kneeling, crawling, and pushing/pulling. Must ascend and descend stairs and ladders, sometimes while carrying tools or objects. Able to stand or sit for long periods of time.
- Handling/Strength- Able to handle, lift, and lower objects totaling 50 pounds between the ground/deck level to a height of about 4 to 6 feet, and able to repeat these movements. Able to carry these objects up to 100 feet continuously for 20 minutes.
- Environmental Conditions- Able to work in all weather conditions, around loud noise, in small spaces, and fit through a 28-inch wide hatch.
Department: Hotel | Job Type: Seasonal | Exemption Type: Non-Exempt
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
- 3 - 4 months
- 5 - 6 months
- 7 - 11 months
- 1 year
- More than 1 year