The Veterinarian is a member of a field veterinarian and veterinarian technician team responsible for the overall canine health of canines supporting the Department of State Explosive Detection Canine teams. Performance locations will be OCONUS in both Iraq and Afghanistan.
All services shall be provided in accordance with established standards, principles and ethics of the profession, applicable professional specialty organizations, and the high-quality standard for which CHS is recognized.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Examine animals to detect nature of diseases or injuries.
- Treat sick or injured animals by prescribing medication, setting bones, dressing wounds, or performing surgery.
- Perform exploratory surgery to include gastrotomy, enterotomy, and resection/anastomosis.
- Perform Splenectomy Surgeries
- Perform Traumatic Amputation
- Perform Gastric dilatation-volvulus (GDV) – re-position and pexying of the stomach.
- Cystotomy – major soft tissue lacerations.
- Perform Tooth Extractions.
- Spay and Neuter and Scrotal Ablation.
- Inoculate animals against various diseases such as rabies and distemper.
- Collect body tissue, feces, blood, urine, or other body fluids for examination and analysis.
- Operate diagnostic equipment such as radiographic and ultrasound equipment, and interpret the resulting images.
- Medical Management of the following: Heat Stroke, Severe enteritis/pancreatitis, severe dehydration.
- Advise handlers regarding sanitary, feeding, and general care necessary to promote health of animals. Advise handlers and monitor diet and exercise.
- Educate handlers/trainers about diseases that can be spread from animals to humans.
- Train and supervise workers who handle and care for animals.
- Euthanize animals at the direction of the COR.
- Establish and conduct quarantine and testing procedures that prevent the spread of diseases to other animals or to humans, and that comply with applicable government regulations.
- Conduct postmortem studies and analyses to determine the cause of animals’ deaths.
- Perform administrative duties such as scheduling appointment and maintaining records.
- Inspect and test animals to detect the presence of communicable diseases.
- Research diseases to which animals could be susceptible.
- Inspect animal housing to determine cleanliness and adequacy.
- Determine the effects of drug therapies, antibiotics, or new surgical techniques by testing them on animals.
- Work effectively independently, however be capable to give medical advice telephonically to a staff of Veterinarian Technicians that are operating at remote locations.
- Degree from a 4 year program at an accredited college of veterinary medicine.
- Shall be licensed as a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (D.V.M. or V.M.D.)
- Background performing exploratory and other surgical procedures is required.
- Shall have a minimum experience of two years as a veterinarian in a private practice or the military
- Shall have knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo (this includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods).
- Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, inter-dependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- Experience in a maintaining canine health records and canine international health certification.
- Shall have experience with a microchip program that scans, reads, and tracks canines.
- Shall be willing to live and work in conflict/combat areas or similar hazardous environments.
- Must have a current U.S. Passport prior to deployment
- USDA Accreditation and issuing international health certificates preferred.
- Shall be proficient in the ability to speak, write and communicate in English.
- Must be able to attain a US Government Security Clearance as required by contract
- Shall Attend a NPSS – Non Personal Security Specialist training class.
- Shall demonstrate proficiency in the use of basic word processing programs and the CHS Medical Management System software.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Must be confirmed by a medical examination to be “medically and dentally fit” in accordance CHS Medical Readiness Guidelines and Policies and/or as dictated by the Client.
- No conditions that would prevent the wear of personal protective equipment; including protective mask, ballistic helmet, body armor and chemical/biological protective garments or conditions that would prevent the capability of donning, lifting or carrying of up to 70 lbs. of referenced gear while running to a bunker or protected area in the face of perceived or imminent danger.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment; travel in Iraq is required by surface or air.
- The climate is desert-like, hot and prone to dust storms.
Caliburn International is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, sex, disability, veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, and other statuses protected by law.
Caliburn International LLC is a leading provider of professional services and solutions to U.S. federal government agencies and commercial clients. We provide consulting, engineering, medical, and environmental services as well as large scale program management in support of our core markets of national defense, international diplomacy, and homeland security client readiness. Caliburn employs over 8,000 dedicated professionals deployed across five continents.
Caliburn Medical Services supports the health and well-being of civilian and military workforce partners. We are one of the nation’s largest and most experienced providers of medical management services to international customers, the U.S. Government, and commercial clients. Our medical management solutions are technology-driven and grounded in best practices. We are committed to protecting employee, company, and partner information and we comply with all government and industry standards. For more information about Caliburn and our career opportunities, visit us at www.caliburnintl.com.
Job Type: Full-time