The University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine is seeking outstanding applicants for a full-time Internal Medicine physician faculty position. At UIWSOM, medical students learn applied biomedical and clinical sciences in an integrated, learner-centered curriculum that makes extensive use of case-based learning, supplemented by large group interactive sessions. The faculty member will be expected to engage in case-based small and large group facilitation. The successful candidate will demonstrate a strong commitment to scholarship and service to the osteopathic medical school, university, and surrounding community. UIWSOM offers unique opportunities of lifelong learning through innovative educational excellence and collaborative scholarship involving medical education, community, and translational research. Faculty members assume the shared responsibility of developing and executing all approved policies of instruction. The faculty shall consist of individuals who have been appointed to the rank of assistant professor, associate professor, or professor.
1. Per the UIWSOM mission, accreditation standards and the Chair’s discretion, implement a transformative curriculum that involves the collaborative development and facilitation of innovative and integrated learning strategies within a clinical context.
2. Engage with and educate the community with respect to osteopathic medical educational practices and scholarship.
3. Support clinically relevant community-based, social justice-based, and medical education research and scholarship, consistent with the UIWSOM Research and Scholarly Activity Strategic Plan.
4. Integrate national trends in medical education and his/her discipline into innovative educational practice.
5. Serve on committees and subcommittees as appointed by the Dean.
6. Actively participate in professional development activities to improve academic skills and facilitation of the UIWSOM innovative curriculum.
7. Undergo training to qualify as a facilitator in the case-based learning program and UIWSOM curriculum delivery methods.
8. Other duties as assigned.
9. Official duties and responsibilities of faculty members at the University include teaching, scholarship, service and professional activities. In all matters, faculty are expected to maintain the highest standards of professional ethics consistent with the UIW Mission.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills and the enthusiasm and motivation to learn and to contribute to the growth and development of UIWSOM.
- Commitment to social justice and values-driven curricula.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with administration, staff, peers and full-time and community-based faculty.
- Strong verbal/written communication skills.
- Ability to collect and manage data to track performance outcomes to ensure comparable educational experiences.
- Strong collaboration, team building, and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to strategically prioritize resources necessary for program support.
- Ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse communities and cultures.
- Employee shall adhere to all applicable rules and regulations of the University, the Conference, and the NCAA.
DO or MD degree (Board certified)
Specialty training in Internal Medicine
Required Work Experience
1.Strong knowledge base in his/her discipline as it relates to the practice of medicine.
2. Strong teaching skills and experience in a health care related field.
3. Demonstrated commitment to the UIW social justice mission.
4. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and work collaboratively in complex interdisciplinary and interprofessional settings.
5. Demonstrated ability to engage, support and lead diverse groups.
6. Demonstrated knowledge of and commitment to current trends in medical education and educational technologies, and ability to teach in a collaborative integrated case-based model, in which biomedical sciences are taught in a clinical context and are relevant to current medical practice.
7. Excellent communication skills in English.
8. Experience in computer-assisted delivery of course content.
9. Demonstrated desire for self-improvement.
10. Record of scholarship.
11. Demonstrated success in working with faculty, administrators, students and staff within a higher education learning community and on teams.
12. Track record commensurate with an appointment as assistant, associate or full professor.
- Evidence of teaching excellence and progressive leadership experience in an undergraduate medical education or health professional education setting in North America.
- Experience with case-based and active learning methods in both small and large group settings.
- Demonstrated flexibility in a new medical school startup or other endeavor requiring adaptability.
- Record of championing and implementing innovations in medical education.
- At least three years of medical practice experience after post-graduate training.
Required Certifications, Licenses or Registrations
Holds a DO or MD degree from a COCA or LCME accredited medical school. Board Certified in Internal Medicine. Licensed in TX or able to obtain a medical license in TX within one year.
Full time with some weekend and evening hours required depending on UIWSOM activities.
Posting Number UN259PO
Number of Vacancies 1
Job Type Full Time
Job Category Faculty
Desired Start Date 06/01/2018
Position End Date (if temporary)
Reports to Chair of CASE
Open Date 03/28/2018
Open Until Filled Yes
Special Instructions to Applicant
UIW is committed to a policy of equal opportunity in employment, without regard to race, color, national origin, disability, genetic information, veteran status, sex, gender, age, or religion (except in limited circumstances when religious preference is both permitted by law and deemed appropriate as a matter of University policy).
Cover Letter/Letter of Application
Unofficial Transcripts 1
Unofficial Transcripts 2
Unofficial Transcripts 3