The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston is one of the world's most respected centers focused on cancer patient care, research, education and prevention. It was named the nation's No. 1 hospital for cancer care in U.S. News & World Report's 2019 rankings. It is one of the nation's original three comprehensive cancer centers designated by the National Cancer Institute.
MD Anderson Cancer Center is a global leader in the treatment of blood cancers. The Department of Leukemia is one of the most successful disease-specific cancer programs in the world, as well as one of the largest.
The ideal candidate will have strong formal management experience supervising 5 or more employees. Also, phlebotomy and EKG experience is strongly preferred.
Laboratory Supervision, Administrative Duties, Staff Training and Education
- Consults and participates in new protocol introduction, including documentation, procedures and processes to the technologists, technicians, and designated laboratory staff.
- Coaches and counsels and writes performance evaluations for assigned employees.
- Assists with staffing and scheduling.
- Supervises daily work activities in the lab including, specimen handling and shipment, QC and instrument maintenance review and troubleshooting when needed.
- Will train new employees and ensure staff adheres to all GLP and SOP/Policy training.
- Will be the lab contact for clinicians or outside labs for specimen inquires or issues as well as scheduling work for outside clients.
- Assists with developing a competency checklist and performs competency observations of staff.
- Provides input for probationary and annual evaluation of staff.
- Participate in interviews for open lab positions.
- Maintain instrument preventive maintenance (PM) and/or service contracts.
- Receives and responds to queries from laboratories, monitors and MDACC research teams.
- Consults and interacts with the multidisciplinary team involved in sample collection, processing, storage and/or shipping, documentation of all, as well as, procedure development, evaluations, quality assurance, process improvement, and continuing education for the accurate and timely performance of pharmacokinetic sampling in the conduct of clinical trials.
- Attends Site Initiation meetings as needed.
- May make decisions and perform specific functions in the absence of the Laboratory Manager.
- May assist in resource planning and department budget processes.
- Ensures all personnel are trained.
- Develops/coordinates training, education, competency processes for new employees.
- Ensures competency assessments are completed according to guidelines.
- Monitors progress of technologists and technicians.
- Obtain information for continuing education opportunities for the staff.
Laboratory Compliance, Quality Assurance and Productivity
- Ensures compliance with all regulatory and safety standards and enforces policies and procedures.
- Ensures laboratory meets quality and productivity standards.
- Ensures adequate quality control methods are implemented according to standard and addresses quality control issues.
- Consults with physician investigators, medical personnel and pharmaceutical drug development staff as a subject matter expert.
- Ensures supplies and equipment are ordered and maintained to meet laboratory needs.
- Assists with database testing and recommends modification to the database.
- Ensures productivity is sufficient to meet time constraints established for current procedures and processes.
- Continually explores process improvement and efficient operation opportunities.
- Coordinate new process/service/protocol development and oversees the development and maintenance of new policies and procedure documents.
- Ensures documentation is correct and complete.
- Ensures equipment, training and processes are current and GLP compliant.
Performance of Technical Procedures and Processing, Equipment Calibration and Maintenance
- Perform lab assays, processes and procedures according to protocols and SOPs, as required.
- Processes collected specimens as needed and instructs CITs in techniques for simple and complex processing
- Inspects collected and processed samples for labeling accuracy and visual sample quality.
- Perform PDs, PBMCs, PGs, cell enumeration and other complex lab processing in lieu of the CIT staff for enhanced process control and quality.
- Provides support for processing and shipping of samples.
- Schedule semiannual and annual maintenance of lab equipment
- Schedule calibration for equipment as needed.
- Maintain sample organization in the freezer, assigning freezer space to protocols and technicians as needed.
- Monitor daily temperature logs for lab freezer and refrigerator. Respond appropriately to alarms and system notifications.
- Monitor lab supply inventory required for daily blood collection (i.e. saline supply, vacutainers, etc).
Bachelor's degree in Medical Technology, Clinical Laboratory Science, Molecular Genetic Technology or a related science field (Biology, Chemistry, Physiology).
Five years of clinical laboratory experience to include two years of project management, lead or supervisory experience. Successful completion of the LEADing Self Accelerate program may substitute for one year of required supervisory or management experience.
Strong formal management experience supervising 5 or more employees. Also, phlebotomy and EKG experience is strongly preferred.
Required: One of the following:
Certified Medical Technologist by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists Board of Registry
Certified Clinical Laboratory Specialist by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists Board of Registry (BOR). Certified Cytogenetics Technologist by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists Board of Registry (BOR).
Certified Histocompatability Technologist by the American Board of Histocompatability and Immunogenetics or other certification in a specialized field relevant to the laboratory assigned.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
exempt and eligible for additional compensation for hours worked beyond your usual schedule, paid at a time and a half rate
US Dollar (USD) 68,800
US Dollar (USD) 86,000
Maximum Salary :
US Dollar (USD) 103,200