TEACHING A PERSON TO RIDE A BICYCLE REQUIRES ATTENTION TO DETAIL: IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO APPLY, PLEASE SEND A COVER LETTER THAT DETAILS YOUR EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS. RESUMES WITHOUT COVER LETTERS WILL BE REJECTED.
Wenzel Coaching, LLC, established in 1994, is a nationwide fitness company that works with all levels and ages of cyclists and triathletes to improve fitness, skills and performance.
We are currently seeking a cycling skills instructor who can work with beginning riders as well as riders looking to improve specific skills. Many of your clients will be true beginners who are learning or re-learning to ride a bicycle as an adult or senior citizen. Learn-to-ride lessons start with you on foot, in sneakers, walking or running alongside the beginning cyclist. Riders looking to improve specific skills may be interested in pacelines, cornering, descending, or riding no-hands as well as more advanced group-riding and racing skills.
- Patience, listening ability and a willingness to help riders work through their fears.
- At least 5 years of individual and group cycling experience. General riding and commuting without group riding experience are NOT sufficient for this position.
- The ability to break down basic cycling skills to their core components (skills you might instruct include mounting, dismounting, starting, braking, pedaling, stopping, gear use etc.)
- Experience riding centuries, rallies or gran fondos.
- Excellent communication skills, including correctly capitalized and punctuated writing, as coaches will often be emailing responses to potential clients.
- Ability to respond to emails and phone calls as well as communicate with the Wenzel Coaching office within hours.
Coaches who have worked with Team in Training and other cycling mentoring organizations are prime candidates. Racing experience, cycling skills certification and coaching licenses are a bonus. We’re looking for a dynamic personality who is willing to get out there and work with people. Each job is a little different because every new cyclist is an individual. The majority of lessons take place on quiet residential streets, local parks and parking lots, convenient to you and the client. Most lessons are 1.5 - 2 hrs working hands on.
This is a paid, independent contractor position for part time work. Wenzel Coaching takes care of all billing, bookkeeping, business registration and insurance so that you can focus on taking care of your client-athletes. Client assignments depend on demand.
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO APPLY, PLEASE SEND A COVER LETTER DETAILING:
- Your cycling experience -- how many years, which kinds of events, the kinds of cycling you’ve done (road? mountain bike? cyclocross? gravel? centuries/gran fondos, racing, etc?)
- Your own skills (paceline, cornering alone and in a group, no hands, bunny hop?)
- Teaching experience, especially that which might be applicable to teaching cycling skills.
- Are you strong enough to hold up an adult cyclist by the back of the seat as they first pull away from you?
- Are you strong enough to run alongside an adult cyclist who is riding slowly on grass or a bike path?
- Would you be willing to take the USA Cycling Level 3 Coaching Certification and complete a background check? (Requires purchasing the USA Cycling Level 3 Coach Manual and taking the Level 3 test, completing a background check and completing the USOC Safe Sport online certification. All can be done online and costs about ~$60)
Check out our job and application information here: www.wenzelcoaching.com/about/jobs
Learn more about our company here: www.wenzelcoaching.com
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO APPLY: PLEASE SEND A COVER LETTER THAT DETAILS YOUR EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS. RESUMES WITHOUT COVER LETTERS WILL BE REJECTED.
Job Types: Part-time, Contract
Pay: $40.00 - $50.00 per hour
In person lessons require masks and social distancing to the extent required by local law in order to protect both coach and rider.
- group cycling: 5 years (Required)
- Los Angeles, CA (Required)
- USA Cycling Coach (Preferred)
- Multiple locations
- Fully Remote
Company's Facebook page: