The fastest growing animal welfare organization in the area is looking for a Veterinary Technician to help save more lives and support more pet families. The Brandywine Valley SPCA cares for more than 10,000 animals each year plus provides services to the community such as affordable veterinary care.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Animal Health Center
- Monitor the health of shelter animals.
- Triage cases according to medical need.
- Administer vaccines and other preventative medical treatments as outlined by medical.
- Prepare patients for spay/neuter surgery, assist in surgery, and monitor anesthesia under the direction of the veterinarian.
- Perform intramuscular and subcutaneous injections.
- Assist doctors and other technicians in performing medical procedures.
- Administer medications to animals as directed by staff veterinarians.
- Perform venipuncture, laboratory tests, IV catheter placement, and drug and fluid calculations as ordered by the veterinary staff.
- Clean and pack surgical instruments.
- Operate an autoclave.
- Comply with all laws pertaining to controlled substances
- Understand standard veterinary terminology, medical math, procedures and animal health issues.
- Facilitate good working relationships through teamwork and collaboration.
- Perform medical intake physical examinations.
- Perform and interpret basic diagnostic tests such as, but not limited to, fecal floatation, skin scrapes, heartworm test, FeLV/FIV tests, etc.
- Able to interpret treatment sheets and administer treatment to patients (PO, topically, otic, ocular) under the direction of a veterinarian.
- Operate x-ray, proper patient positioning.
- Follow veterinary care protocols for animals in the BVSPCA - including medical, behavior and general care protocols for the health and well-being of the animals; individually and as a herd.
- Participate in medical rounds as directed by the Director of Medical Services.
- Keeps up to date in veterinary medicine with regular continuing education.
- Maintain and create patient records by accurately recording treatments, examinations and test results on PetPoint software.
- Assist with keeping inventory and ordering supplies.
Client and Community Service
- Admit and release animals from BVSPCA in a responsive, courteous and tactful manner to both internal and external clients.
- Inform clients of any pertinent medical information regarding animal care; communicate release instructions.
- Practice and encourage the humane treatment of animals.
- Provide quality customer service to clients, volunteers, and staff while actively promoting our mission, services, programs, and events.
- Promote donation and giving opportunities as appropriate.
Diversity and Inclusiveness
- Work effectively with individuals and colleagues from diverse communities and cultures.
- Ensure a safe work environment; following all safety guidelines and modeling safe work practice.
- Take immediate action to address any safety concerns that could put a staff member, volunteer, client, animal, or the organization at risk.
- Maintain a clean, healthy, and sanitary work area; follow all pest and rodent control protocols.
- Commitment to the mission, values, goals, and success of the BVSPCA.
- Experience with humane animal handling and restraint techniques of healthy, ill and feral animals.
- Experience in caring for and handling animals in a safe, effective and humane manner, especially larger and possibly untrained pets.
- Comfortable working in the shelter environment and willing to accommodate animals in the work place.
- Computer literate and able to master veterinary software as applicable to clinic operations.
- Knowledge of basic dog and cat physiology, anatomy and behavior as it relates to understanding the general health of animals.
- Ability to understand and communicate pertinent medical information with colleagues and clients.
- Self-motivated and able to initiate and complete tasks.
Job Type: Full-time
- Veterinary Technician: 1 year (Preferred)
- Georgetown, DE (Preferred)