Position: Preservation and Exhibits Specialist
Purpose: Provides expertise and services to enable the library to successfully preserve its collections, including physical treatment and repair, exhibit management, and other collection care and management initiatives.
Supervision: Director of Collection Services and Assessment
1. Develop and manage the Preservation Program, including defining needs, establishing goals, objectives, and plans, building on the 2019 CCAHA preservation plan. Train and supervise students.
2. Collaborate with collection staff to determine collection care and preservation priorities. Design and conduct surveys as needed.
3. Manage in-house and contract collection treatment activities. Establish repair program for the general collections and conduct preservation repairs to extend the longevity of collection use. Manage preservation housing operation for general and special collections. Oversee conservation activities for special collections, including external contractor treatment.
4. Take primary responsibility for the library’s numerous exhibition spaces, including coordinating exhibits with members of the library and broader PTS community, preparing items for exhibit, installing and deinstalling exhibits and managing the return of collection items to their respective areas and owners.
5. Serve as the collection preservation expert for disaster preparedness and for leading recovery operations in emergencies. Revise and update the library’s disaster plan. Manage the library’s disaster preparedness and recovery team.
6. Collaborate with library staff to manage the commercial bindery activities to ensure preservation standards and quality are met.
7. Manage the library’s environmental monitoring program. Analyze results, report statistics on conditions, trends and issues. Collaborate with library colleagues and serve as liaison with Facilities in matters pertaining to the building’s service as a repository that supports collection safety and longevity.
8. Instruct library staff in appropriate preservation techniques and selection criteria. Organize, conduct, and advertise patron awareness programs.
9. Assist with statistical gathering and analysis, external funding requests including grant applications and other proposals.
10. Work with the Digital Archivist regarding the care, handling, and storage of analog collections that are being digitally reformatted.
11. Collaborate with other library colleagues to meet shifting institutional and library priorities, needs skill sets and responsibilities.
12. Serve as a member of an agile, cross-functional library team, including contributing to the Library’s alignment with the Strategic Plan, to Library assessment, and to a user-centered service model.
13. Perform other duties as assigned.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Type: Full-time