Under the direct supervision of the Parks and Recreation Superintendent, the Director of Aquatics/Ice Rink is responsible for the overall operations and programs at the Merrifield Complex and Central Park Splash Pad. This position directly oversees the Aquatics/Ice Rink Supervisors, Central Services Maintenance Employees, and numerous seasonal employees. This person will develop and coordinate a balanced work schedule that ensures the facilities are overseen by either the Director or Supervisors during all hours facilities are open. Must be self-motivated and able to work independently without supervision.
- ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
- Develop, implement, and schedules aquatic programming for the pool to include public swim, classes, swim meets, swim teams, rentals, swim lessons, lap swimming, and other aquatic programs as developed and assigned.
- Assures pool staff is trained in water safety, first aid, and CPR and staff certifications are current and maintained. Ensures high program standards are followed; provides for regular in-service training to staff as needed.
- Handles the filtration system and other aquatic operating systems with the assistance of the Aquatics/Ice Rink Supervisor and assigned Central Services Maintenance Employees. Maintains proper pool chemical balance and is responsible for all reporting to the Health Department as required.
- Develops and schedules ice rink programming for the Merrifield Complex to include public skate, tournaments, league play, special events, and other ice rink programs as developed and assigned.
- Administers hiring, training and scheduling of seasonal staff; including lifeguards, rink guards, instructors, food handlers, cashiers, and all other pool and ice rink staff.
- Directs training to full- and part-time employees in first aid, instruction, ice rink, cash handling procedures and pool maintenance.
- Responsible for following OSHA safety regulation and state pool regulations.
- Maintains maintenance program record and inventory of potentially hazardous materials.
- Performs regular safety inspections of pool, rink, and equipment to reduce hazards and provide maximum safety to patrons
- Surveys patrons and evaluates programs to determine public needs and how to increase program efficiency and effectiveness; receives patron complaints and suggestions and responds appropriately.
- Markets the facility in appropriate venues to increase customer base and revenue.
- Coordinates group programs such as exhibitions, meets, and competitions.
- Oversees and expands programming and special events within the facility and coordinating pool and rink venues for citywide special events.
- Learning and enhancing skill in repairs of the facility and operations of the Zamboni.
- Reports regularly to the Park and Recreation Board as to activities at the Merrifield Complex
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- 2 years directly related aquatics/ice experience, or any equivalent combination of education and experience
- Certified as an Aquatic Facility Operator (AFO) or Certified Pool Operator (CPO) within one year of position
- Valid driver’s license
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $40,999.92 to $44,000.06 /year
- aquatics and ice rink: 2 years
- drivers license and AFO or CPO