The Chaplain Residency will run from September 2020 through August 2021.
The Chaplain Resident is responsible for fulltime active participation in the Houston Methodist Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) program for a year, which includes classroom learning and individual supervision from the Educator Clinical Pastoral Education and/or Manager Clinical Pastoral Education. The Resident precepts with and is mentored by assigned Sr. Chaplain/Chaplains in the provision of spiritual care to meet the spiritual, religious, emotional, and psychological needs of patients, families, and employees.
PATIENT AGE GROUP(S) AND POPULATION(S) SERVED
Refer to departmental "Scope of Service" and "Provision of Care" plans, as applicable, for description of primary age groups and populations served by this job for the respective HM entity.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
o Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
o Focuses on patient/customer safety
o Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
o Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
o Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
o Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20 %
1. Provides a supportive and positive environment for Houston Methodist patients, family members, visitors, employees and physicians. Provides spiritual care support to Houston Methodist employees. (EF)
2. Contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that helps to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating in a positive, supportive, non-judgmental manner, reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner . (EF)
SERVICE - 50 %
1. Partners with Sr. Chaplain/Chaplain who is serving as the mentor/preceptor to provide spiritual care to meet the spiritual, religious, emotional and psychological needs of patients and their family members of all faiths, during hospitalization and particularly for pre-operative, critically ill and dying patients. (EF)
2. Assists in the initial assessment of patients and the development of patient care plans; responds to assigned referrals. Follows patient protocols established by the precepting chaplain. Enables patients to participate in their plan of care as applicable. (EF)
3. Provides crisis intervention for patients, visitors, and employees.
4. Rotates with other CPE residents and interns in taking on-call responsibility on weeknights, weekends and holidays. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 15 %
1. Contributes to identification of corrective action and improvement activities and contributes to meeting departmental and hospital targets for quality and safety. Reports ¿near misses¿ and inputs into PSN. (EF)
2. Participates in interdisciplinary health team rounds, discharge planning, support groups and other multi-disciplinary teams.
3. Seeks guidance from ACPE Certified Educator, ACPE Associate Educator, and precepting Chaplain as appropriate; escalates issues/requests to ensure quality and safety in services provided. (EF)
4. Accurately and thoroughly documents patient visits and spiritual care provided in the patient¿s record. (EF)
FINANCE - 5 %
1. Utilizes resources effectively and efficiently, demonstrating responsible financial stewardship. Manages own time effectively and prioritizes work to achieve maximum results in a timely manner.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10 %
1. Prepares patient care reports and other summaries in compliance with CPE program requirements. Proactively learns from feedback and mentoring. (EF)
2. Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development.
3. Offers recommendations and ideas for the continued success and development of the Spiritual Care Department.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o At least two years of attending an accredited college or equivalent of 48 semester hours
o Master¿s degree in theological studies from an institution accredited by the Councial for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), or equivalency approved by the Association of Professional Chaplains (APC) or Cognate (ACPE, CASC, NACC, NAJC), or ACCA or NAVAC highly preferred
o 2 years experience of active involvement in a faith/belief group setting; proof must be substantiated by letter from faith/belief group.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform as a resident, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
o Possesses basic computer knowledge; operates various computer systems to enter and maintain patient documents
o Ability to work independently; capable of effectively handling challenging / difficult interactions/patient care situations and knowing when to refer to others; demonstrates sound judgment and executes above average communication skills
o Exhibits strong interpersonal and team player skills with all levels of the healthcare team
o Adapts to multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision including, organizing work flow and actively participating in problem-solving
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional Yes
Other (dept approved) No
On-Call* Yes, on a regular basis (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)
- Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within Yes
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: