This position works closely with the Events Coordinator in the running of all Butterfly House private and public events and exhibits. This position also provides Event administrative support for the Butterfly House.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinates the child birthday party program, including booking, confirmations, facilitation, supply inventory and ordering, all prep, add-on ordering, set-up and tear down.
- Assists in execution of all private events at the Butterfly House, i.e.: weddings, corporate, etc.
- Coordinates public events programming and activities with other departments at the Butterfly House, including but not limited to: Supper with Santa, Fancy Tea with Mommy & Me, Bookworm Brunch, Bug Ball, HOT! HOT! HOT!.
- Prepares descriptive material for use in promotion of events.
- Responsible for maintaining databases (Excel), budget tracking and invoice processing for all events / division.
- Arranges and conducts on site Butterfly House tours.
- Develops implementation schedules for events, including recruitment for volunteers, scheduling of Butterfly House staff and interns.
- Conducts cross divisional communication within the Garden to arrange for tours, facility needs, etc.
- Maintains, purchases, and organizes inventory for Events/Exhibits Department materials.
- Creates and coordinates Events/Exhibits vendor correspondence and documentation.
- Distributes Event/Exhibits materials internally and externally as necessary.
- Monitors and physically engages in exhibit and event set-up, execution, troubleshooting and tear down. This position will take on complete responsibility for several events.
- Responsible for accurate record keeping and meeting reports.
- Provides phone support and reservation assistance for Butterfly House.
- Behaves and communicates in a manner that promotes and fosters a culture of teamwork and cooperation, within our division and throughout the Garden, with co-workers, supervisors/managers, volunteers, visitors and employees.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
This position will supervise volunteers and interns from time to time.
Qualifications and/or Experience:
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments prepared and on time.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings, as required.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively, using correct spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Interpersonal - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Minimum 1-3 years related experience.
- Previous guest relations/customer service and volunteer experience; ability to effectively manage and foster professional working relationships.
- Highly visitor-oriented and experience working with the public required.
- Must be a self-starter, creative, flexible, and possess the ability to effectively multi-task.
- Understanding of financial operating budget process.
- Ability to lead and direct a work group and provide quality guest service within a fast-paced mission based public attraction. Strong focus on execution in public environment, attention to detail and accuracy.
- Demonstrated ability to create various reports and write business correspondence and procedure manuals.
- Exceptional ability to communicate effectively at all levels; must enjoy and feel comfortable interacting and working in close proximity to general public, in a safe and friendly manner, answering questions.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with internal team members and external organizations for the purposes of creating a commitment to common goals, prioritizing, minimizing obstacles, and executing realistic priorities in a sophisticated environment.
- Scheduling flexibility that allows working weekends, evenings, and holidays is required for Events.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills – comfortable and proficient in communicating with high-level Officers and Department Heads.
- Self-starter who works independently while still maintaining the ability to work well in a small, cohesive team environment.
- Occasional travel required (locally).
- Demonstrates highest level of professional and ethical conduct.
- The requirements and duties listed are representative and not exhaustive of the knowledge, skill, and/or abilities required.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Associates degree preferred.
- An equivalent combination of education, skills and experience may be considered.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English (oral and written).
- Proficient basic math aptitude - Requires ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication and division; calculate percentages and decimals, etc.
- Ability to understand and assist in developing project budgets.
- This position requires the ability to exercise independent judgment in handling unpredictable customer service situations (that may arise with visitors, vendors or coworkers).
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Proficient experience using Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and/or a database management program. Excel is very important to this position.
- General research skills are an asset.
- Solid Internet research skills.
- Ability to learn EBMS space reservation system.
Must be able to obtain and maintain a valid driver’s license prior to employment as well as a safe driving record.
- Ability to lift 30-60 lbs. (i.e.: load, unload and move supplies and equipment, set up and teardown of table, chairs and exhibits)
- May be required to perform tasks at varying heights (i.e.: use step stools, climb ladders, etc.)
- Requires standing, walking, bending, stooping and reaching for extended periods of time – 75% or more of the workday many be standing on feet.
- Requires speaking and interaction with people.
- Ability and willingness to work in varying temperatures and all weather conditions, in both daylight and evening hours.
- Ability to utilize computer keyboard (typing).
- Comfortable working in immediate proximity to general public, in a safe and friendly manner, answering general questions regarding the Butterfly House and MBG’s operations, events, facilities, etc. and elementary questions regarding butterflies and other insects.
- Comfortable working with invertebrates (including insects, arachnids, and arthropods).
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Indoor open office setting, shared by multiple staff.
- May be require working indoors and outdoors throughout the day in all seasons – (i.e.: in temperatures over 100 degrees F as well as temperatures below 0 degrees F, in rain, snow and other inclement weather conditions as needed).
- Comfortable assisting with large visitor crowds.
- Conservatory temperatures of 100 degrees F or more, very humid conditions.
- Adhere to all dress codes, including closed-toed shoes.