LOCATION OF POSITION
This position is located in the Office of Human Resources for the Department of General Services, located at 301 W. Preston Street, Baltimore, MD 21201 (Baltimore City, Maryland).
Main Purpose of Job
The main purpose of this position is to provide administrative assistance to the HR Director and Deputy Director, and to support and coordinate the administrative functions for the Office of Human Resources.
This position provides administrative support to the HR management team. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Greet visitors to the HR office and direct them appropriately. Respond to phone inquiries and direct calls appropriately to other offices.
- Perform day-to-day administrative duties such as processing paperwork and filing. Open and sort mail for the office. Coordinate calendars for the HR Director and Deputy Director, and schedule meetings as needed.
- Maintain the HR filing room, ensuring that employee personnel files are kept neat and up-to-date.
- Input various transactions in the State's personnel system (WorkDay), including personal information changes, performance evaluations, hiring freeze requests, and disciplinary actions.
- Assist with various recruitment and new hire onboarding tasks, including: Completing employment verifications and minimum qualification verification forms for hired employees; processing I-9 employment verification forms for new hires; and preparing employee contracts for contractual employees and managing the approval process needed to complete the contract process.
- Coordinate the probation process for agency, to include tracking probationary periods for new hires, sending appropriate probation forms to supervisors, and ensuring that forms are received and entered in the personnel system.
- Assist in coordinating various DGS special events and programs.
- Assist in coordinating new hire onboarding, and prepare onboarding packets for new hires.
- Assist employees with any WorkDay and training system needs.
- Assist the HR Director and Deputy Director with various special projects.
Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate.
Four years performing secretarial work or clerical work involving typing duties.
1. Additional secretarial or clerical experience may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a non-commissioned officer in Administration classifications or Administrative, Clerical, or Office Services specialty codes in the Administrative Support field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Strong preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred qualifications. Include clear and specific information on your application regarding the qualifications.
1. At least one (1) year of human resources or personnel experience is strongly preferred. Appropriate experience should include responsibility for activities such as: preparing and maintaining employment or personnel records; entering and maintaining information in a human resources or personnel system; preparing personnel-related reports; assisting employees regarding HR matters; and responding to inquiries concerning employment actions.
2. Candidates with strong organizational and communication skills are highly desirable.
3. Candidates with experience utilizing a human resources or personnel information system are preferred.
LIMITATIONS ON SELECTION
This position is limited to those individuals willing to accept contractual (hourly) employment in Baltimore City, Maryland.
Please provide sufficient information on your application to support that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications MUST BE submitted by the closing date. Information submitted after the closing date will not be considered.
The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training and experience related to the requirements of the position. Successful candidates will be placed on the employment eligibility list. The eligibility list will be valid for one year and may be extended. The list will be used by the hiring agency to select employees.
Credit is given for relevant part-time, temporary or volunteer experience based on the number of hours worked per week. You must include on your application the time spent on such activity. You must be legally authorized under the United States Immigration Reform and Control Act to be hired in the position for which you apply.
Contractual employees who work for an agency covered under the State Employee and Retiree Health and Welfare Benefits Program, have a current employment contract and work 30 or more hours a week (or on average 130 hours per month) may be eligible for subsidized health benefits coverage for themselves and their dependents. As a contractual employee, you will be responsible for paying 25% of the premiums for your medical and prescription coverage, including any eligible dependents you have enrolled. The State of Maryland will subsidize the remaining 75% of the cost for these benefits. You can also elect to enroll in dental coverage, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, and life insurance, but will be responsible to pay the full premium for these benefits. Leave may be granted to a contractual employee who has worked 120 days in a 12 month period. This leave accrues at a rate of one hour for every 30 hours worked, not to exceed 40 hours per calendar year.
To submit additional information, such as a resume, please upload an attachment to your application.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 410-767-4988 with questions about this recruitment. The on-line application process is STRONGLY preferred. Apply online at www.dbm.maryland.gov – click on the State Jobs tab. If you are unable to submit your application online, please send your paper application to: Human Resources, Dept. of General Services, 301 W. Preston St., Suite 1311, Baltimore, MD 21201 by the closing date and time.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country. TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay