At IBM, work is more than a job - it's a calling:
To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you've never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world's most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
START AND END DATES FOR THIS INTERNSHIP ARE DURING SUMMER 2021 (3 MONTHS)
IBM will not be providing Visa sponsorship for these positions now or in the future. Therefore, in order to be considered for this position, you must have the ability to work without a need for current or future Visa sponsorship.
In this new era, IBM is reshaping industries with our expertise in Cloud, Analytics, Security, Mobile, and the Internet of Things – changing how businesses build, collaborate, analyze, and engage.
At the heart of this transformation is our Market Development & Insights team. We provide a trusted, objective view of the market and its impact on IBM, empowering IBMers to drive actions that grow the business. All MD&I team members need to have strong business insight and a desire to work in partnership with IBM executive leaders.
We are looking for Masters level applicants with experience in data science and analytics. Leveraging internal and external data sources, MD&I data scientists are expected to produce forward-looking insights that will drive value and growth for the business based upon solid evidence in data. Key data sources include Client Experience, Revenue and Operational data. We are looking for dynamic individuals with experience in leveraging data science and machine learning techniques to generate meaningful insights on client behavior and trends over time, developing analytic solutions, and presenting findings and recommendations to key stakeholders.
MD&I’s 10-week summer internship program will provide you with the opportunity to work on strategic projects that address real business challenges facing IBM’s decision makers. Throughout the summer, you will participate in educational sessions to develop skills, join in on networking opportunities to connect with other members of MD&I and across IBM, and gain exposure to many different parts of IBM’s business.
Your responsibilities will include:
You should exhibit the following strengths:
- Collaborate with IBM’s business leaders to understand business analytics needs and identify business priorities on a strategic project
- Provide compelling, fact-based findings through organizing and extracting data, information, and insights from various sources and methods – including primary and secondary research, competitive analysis, and market opportunity analysis
- Practice Design Thinking principles to focus on our stakeholder’s needs and desired outcomes, and to work with agility within the team
- Present findings and recommendations to IBM leadership in a clear and concise manner that enables business action
- Technical expertise in drawing inductive inferences from data, developing and evaluating statistical regression and classification models, hypothesis testing, design of experiments and pattern discovery
- Advanced analytics techniques, such as predictive and prescriptive models, multivariate regression, look-alike models, and cluster analysis
- Application of advanced analytics techniques in support of describing behaviors, explaining relationships, making predictions, measuring performance, controlling outcomes, and optimizing actions
- Adept communication skills including writing, presentation, storytelling and effectively sharing recommendations
- Demonstrate personal responsibility and self-discipline in a highly independent working environment
- Collaborative approach to teaming
BM and MD&I offer a flexible, agile, and collaborative work environment with numerous professional development and growth opportunities. Position is located in New York City, NY.
To learn more about MD&I, please click here. https://www.ibm.com/employment/mdi/
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Current pursuit of Master’s Degree with expected graduation date of Winter 2021 or later
- Proficiency in Python, R, SQL, or other programming language
- Experience/coursework in statistical modeling, machine learning, and deep learning
- Experience/coursework in exploratory statistical data analysis
- Experience/coursework in Tableau or other data visualization software
- Understanding of databases and industry analytical technologies
- Ability to apply technical knowledge in fast-paced, consultative environment
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Current pursuit of Master’s Degree in Business Analytics, Statistics, Data Science or related field
- 2+ years in a consultative profession
- 2+ years experience with business analytics, data science or predictive modeling
- Knowledge of market research and marketing analytics
- Skills in relationship management
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Interest in the technology industry
About Business Unit
IBM Corporate Headquarters (CHQ) team represents a variety of functions such as marketing, finance, legal, operations, HR, and more, all working together to solve some of the world's most complex problems, help our clients achieve success and build collaborative work environments for IBMers.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
IBM will not be providing visa sponsorship for this position now or in the future. Therefore, in order to be considered for this position, you must have the ability to work without a need for current or future visa sponsorship.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.