United States Postal Service
External Publication for Job Posting 10445089
If this job requires qualification on an examination, the number of applicants who will be invited to take or retake the
examination may be limited.
Corporate Information Security Office
Job Posting Period
07/30/2020 - 08/05/2020
MGR THREAT OPERATIONS
CISO SOUTH (Aerial), CyberSecurity Operations (CSOC)
6001 HOSPITALITY CT STE 120
MORRISVILLE, NC 27560-7422
MGR THREAT OPERATIONS
V - 02
ON CALL 24/7
07:00 A.M. to 04:00 P.M.
106,500.00 - 125,050.00 USD Annually
The salary will be based on previous experience, salary history, and current postal pay policies.
We offer excellent benefits including health and life insurance, retirement plan, savings/investment plan with employer
contribution, flexible spending, flextime scheduling of core work hours, annual and sick leave.
The Inspection Service criminal background check is conducted using United States information resources only (e.g., FBI
fingerprint check, state and county checks). A criminal background check involves a 5-year inquiry for any location where
the individual has resided, worked or gone to school within the United States or its territories. As a result of this limitation,
the criminal background checks of individuals who have not resided in the United States or its territories for the preceding
5-years may not be considered complete. The Inspection Service may be able to process inquiries for U.S. Citizens only,
but only if their time spent out of the country was spent as:
a trailing spouse or dependent of someone working for the U.S.
government (military or civilian), a missionary, a student attending school in a foreign country, a Peace Corps participant, or
as an employee of a U.S.-based employer/company. If the Inspection Service is unable to perform a complete background
check because of residency outside the United States, such individuals will be ineligible for Postal employment.
Manages the day-to-day activities in the collection of threat intelligence from a variety of sources to identify, analyze, and
report risk events that occur within the network in order to protect information, information systems, and networks from
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Directs and coordinates the day-to-day the activities, provides guidance and training to meet development needs,
develops and employs best practices and procedures for continuous improvement and on-going efforts to streamline and
2. Manages and ensures timely detection identification, and alerts of possible attacks and intrusions, coordinates the
planning to determine the appropriate course of action in response to identified anomalous network activity.
3. Oversees the monitoring of external data sources (e.g., Computer Emergency Response Teams, SANS, Security Focus)
for changes and to maintain accurate and up to date information of Computer Network Defense threat conditions to evaluate
and determine which security issues may have an impact on the enterprise.
4. Conducts risk analysis utilizing open-source and classified research on emerging/trending threats and vulnerabilities and
collaborate between CIRT elements as necessary during incident detection and response stages.
5. Evaluates network traffic for malicious activity to determine weaknesses, exploited, and exploitation methods for potential
threats tonetwork resources and the effects on system solutions and information. Establishes metrics, and monitors trends
for the computer network defense analysis and reporting.
6. Manages the collection, evaluation, and summarization of incident response data in the form of key performance
indicators, operating metrics, and other standard or custom reports. Identifies areas requiring additional investigation and/or
improvements and provides guidance needed to implement such improvements.
7. Collaborates closely with internal and external entities to include OIG, Inspections Service, and Homeland security to
ensure successful mission accomplishments, and brief’s senior leadership on emerging threats, high profile incidents, and
8. Develops and implements procedures to defend intrusion sets against the enterprise, assess incidents along with the
various tactics, techniques to implement effective mitigations through the review of security event data for threat and
potential attack activity.
9. Reviews and presents daily summary reports of network events and activity relevant to Computer Network Defense
practices and provides technical advice and guidance to management.
10. Manages the work of others, includes organizing and assigning assignments, monitors progress, time and attendance,
and provides guidance and feedback.
Manager of unit to which assigned.
The United States Postal Service has the following excellent and challenging employment opportunity for highly motivated
and innovative individuals. Successful candidates must demonstrate through a combination of education, training, and
experience the following requirements:
1. Ability to anticipate risks, analyze and assess potential impact, and implement plans to mitigate risk.
2. Ability to communicate orally and in writing to provide policy and program guidance, give briefings and/or presentations
and prepare responses to inquiries from managers, customers and other functional organizations.
3. Ability to analyze data and/or system metrics, summarize results, and make recommendations consistent with business
strategy and requirements.
4. Knowledge of laws in cyber intrusion (e.g., Electronic Communications Privacy Act, Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act,
Protect America Act, search and seizure laws, civil liberties and privacy laws, etc.), statutes (e.g., in Titles 10, 18, 32, 50 in
U.S. Code), Presidential Directives, executive branch guidelines, and/or administrative/criminal legal guidelines and
procedures relevant to work performed.
5. Knowledge of computer network defense policies, procedures, and regulations.
6. Knowledge of different classes of attacks (e.g., passive, active, insider, close-in, distribution, etc.)
7. Knowledge of common adversary tactics, techniques, and procedures in assigned area of responsibility (i.e., historical
country-specific tactics, techniques, and procedures; emerging capabilities, etc.)
8. Demonstrated ability to supervise the work performance of staff, which includes scheduling time and attendance functions,
evaluating performance against goals, providing technical guidance and feedback, building effective work relationships and
establishing individual development plans.
9. SPECIAL CONDITIONS:
Willingness to submit to a Tier 5 Single-Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) and a Sensitive
Compartmented Information (SCI) if required. This investigation requires, among other things, completion of a questionnaire
and fingerprinting for a criminal records check. The investigation may require a drug test. The successful applicant will be
required to obtain and maintain a Top Secret or Top Secret/SCI clearance while holding this position.
Position is located and domiciled at CISO South, Morrisville, NC as part of the Insider Threat program
- Obtaining and maintaining Top Secret Security Clearance required
- Completion of two-year retention agreement for attendance at CISO Academy
**This position requires a TS clearance. This process can take up to 6 weeks from the date the offer letter is returned**
This is a two-step application process requiring you to create a profile and submit an application for the position you are
You will receive two email confirmations:
1. An email confirming your profile is complete.
2. After submitting your application you will receive a second email confirming your application has been successfully
For information, please contact Rita Lee at Talent@usps.gov.
Qualified applicants must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screening to meet the U.S. Postal Service's requirement
to be drug free. Applicants must also be a U.S. citizen or have permanent resident alien status.
Applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m., Central Time, of the posting's closing date. Applicants claiming veterans'
preference must attach a copy of member copy 4 (only) of Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form
214) or other proof of eligibility if claiming 10-point veterans' preference. The United States Postal Service (USPS) is an
equal opportunity employer. The USPS provides reasonable accommodation for any part of the application, interview, and/or
selection process, please make your request to the examiner, selecting official or local manager of Human Resources. This
request can also be made by someone on your behalf. Explain the nature of your limitations and the accommodation
needed. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
Current career Postal Service employees are ineligible to apply to this posting.