To perform emergency dispatch & some clerical duties at the Police Dept. Will handle routine & emergency telephone inquiries while dispatching police personnel to appropriate location utilizing a two-way communications system. Requires a H.S. diploma or equivalent; ability to pass a criminal background investigation; ability to complete timely data-entry and to navigate various computer interfaces; and, possess strong communications and public-relations skills; 40 hrs/wk; rotating shifts and/or permanent night shift; excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, life insurance, and retirement plan. $18.80/hr. Apply online at Westminstermd.gov; or pick up application at 56 W Main St, Westminster; or call 410-848-5236 for an application. Applications must be received by 4:30 PM on October 22, 2018. The City of Westminster Equal Employment Opportunity Plan (EEOP) Short Form is available for review from the Human Resources Office. EOE
Responds to 911 calls; provides routine clerical support to the Police Department; performs other duties as assigned.
Essential Functions: (Functions listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.)
- Operates radio equipment; receives and dispatches calls;
- Receives and logs all incoming police calls accurately;
- Makes telephone referrals for the public to other agencies, as required;
- Receives and dispatches complaints and/or information to officers on shift; provides complete and accurate details;
- Secures back-up for officers in need;
- Contacts and notifies support services as requested by the field force;
- Screens visitors, telephone calls and incoming mail;
- Answers inquiries from local, County, State, and Federal agencies;
- Prepares a daily news release for their shift worked; responds to routine inquiries;
- Maintains a record of traffic and parking citations issued;
- Performs NCIC/MILES computer entries;
- Records checks and disbursement of records and reports;
- Opens, closes and flags past due tickets;
- Opens and closes cash register; posts payments;
- Maintains a filing system of criminal history cards, offense reports and accident reports; enters disposition of cases on criminal history cards;
- Cultivates and maintains positive relationships with City staff and the public;
- Keeps informed on current department practices by attending workshops and educational programs or reading specialized literature; and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The employee is expected to perform or possess the following:
- Thorough knowledge of the City of Westminster’s policies and procedures;
- Act as a representative of the City of Westminster to the public;
- Maintain the highest levels of confidentiality;
- Effectively and efficiently organize, track, and maintain department records;
- Knowledge of multiple phone line systems and radio equipment;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other staff, successfully communicate with other staff members and members of the public, and work as a team;
- Establish priorities and organize workload effectively and efficiently;
- Maintain a pleasant and productive working atmosphere;
- Respond properly in emergency situations and complete assignments under pressure;
- Keep relevant parties informed of major issues and recommend changes as appropriate
- Operate relevant computer systems, including hardware and software, and office machines.
- Position will require shift work assignments covering a 24-hour per day period. Shift assignments may be changed without notice to address operational needs.
- Position may require 24-hour on-call availability in the event of an emergency.
Education and Experience:
- High school or G.E.D.; and
- NCIC and Emergency Telecommunicator certifications (obtained within first year of employment).
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
- Work requires no unusual demand for physical effort.
- Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts which require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices or meeting and training rooms, e.g., use of safe work place practices with office equipment, avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire and building safety regulations.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $18.80 /hour