Position Summary and General Purpose
The Director of Technology Training is responsible for the vision, strategy, planning, communication and execution of information technology related training for lawyers and staff.
The Director works with the Firm’s Senior Leadership, Information Technology Leadership, Innovation Team, Technology Committee, Lawyer Development, Human Resources and Office Administration to:
- Identify education objectives enabling lawyers and staff to utilize information technologies of the firm to more effectively and efficiently to deliver client services.
- Define the most effective instructional methodologies while focusing on practice and business operations work processes.
- Identify and secure the necessary resources for education tools, course development and delivery.
- Collaborate in promoting, scheduling and securing lawyer and staff participation in training, whether self-paced tutorials, e-learning, webinars or classroom settings.
- Obtain and use student feedback on instructional methodologies and knowledge enhancements to refine education programs.
A key responsibility of the chosen candidate will be to develop and implement a training strategy focused on our lawyers that will improve adoption of our current technologies, share best practices, and lead to the more efficient and effective application of technology in client service delivery.
The Director will provide leadership and professional development to information technology training staff and other individuals having responsibility for training in the firm. They will work closely with the IT Project Management Office to prioritize and deliver effective change management programs for key technology projects and with Communications to develop focused and effective technology-related communications.
The incumbent is responsible for modeling and acting in accordance with client service standards and core values.
Essential Position Responsibilities
- Establish a best-in-class technology training approach focused on improving lawyer adoption of technology and the efficiency and effectiveness of client service delivery.
- Work closely with the Chief Technology Officer, Chief Innovation Officer, Technology Committee, Executive Staff, Practice Group leaders, IT Leadership, Firm wide HR and Lawyer Development groups to develop and customize innovative and effective training options/methods to maximize the use of technology.
- Work with Office Administrators and HR Managers to develop technology training programs that will benefit attorneys, paralegals and secretaries in various practice groups.
- Directly manage the IT Training team; prioritize and manage their activities, provide coaching and mentoring, identify development opportunities, and deliver performance feedback.
- Provide leadership to all IT trainers and individuals responsible for the training function in all locations worldwide.
- Coordinate with IT trainers to develop technology training programs for new hires and existing personnel including determination of content and length of training; delivery method(s); and creation of curriculum and training outlines.
- Work closely with the PMO to deliver new capabilities, as well as upgrades to existing ones. This may include: o Participating in software selection
o Establishing training strategies and developing timelines
o Determining training delivery method(s) and identifying training resources
o Developing, communicating, and delivering training
o Developing end user documentation
- Work with practice groups, practice resource and innovations team, and attorney leader groups to better identify true practice specific and client delivery needs in the use of technology.
- Secure necessary resources for education tools and training through budgeting, working with consultants and conducting ROI analysis on existing tools and programs.
- Liaise with educational suppliers to evaluate and/or procure course materials, software applications, and teaching tools that meet organizational training goals and objectives.
- Assess, recommend, and purchase courseware packages, and support development of appropriate courseware tools.
- Oversee the administration of the Firm’s Learning Management System(s) including managing the vendor relationship.
- Establish relationships with training leaders from peer firms to recognize market tested and new methods for training of attorneys and legal staff and move training towards best-in industry.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Knowledge, Experience and Education
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college or equivalent. An advanced degree is preferred.
- A minimum of ten years training experience, including five years of training program management.
- A strong background in training and development in a professional service environment; significant experience in the legal services industry and the training of lawyers is preferred.
- Advanced communication skills, with the ability to interact substantively with all individuals in the firm.
- The ability to present ideas comfortably in public forums, including excellent group facilitation skills.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, as well experience developing communications programs for technology projects and training programs.
- Direct, recent experience with e-learning development, curriculum design, training methodologies and online education.
- Proven experience with adult learning principles and course design techniques, as well as the ability to identify and fulfill adult student needs.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the issues and implications of in-class and distance learning, along with mitigation strategies for dealing with them.
- Experience in administering a Learning Management System.
- Experience in direct management of five (5) individuals or more.
- Experience in international and multilingual environment is preferred.
- The ability to build teams among personnel in various offices.
- Knowledge of curriculum development and evaluation processes for training programs.
- Strong, creative problem-solving skills, including the ability to create unique solutions to complex, non-routine issues.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills, with the ability to independently set work objectives and methods.
- Reliability and flexibility, with a high degree of initiative coupled with the ability to work in a cross-functional team environment.
- Ability to travel extensively (~25% of the time).
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $110,000.00 to $1,350,000.00 /year
- Training & Development: 10 years (Preferred)