Full-timeEstimated: $32,000 - $42,000 a year
- Medical billing
- Communication skills
- Insurance verification
- Organizational skills
Full Job Description
This position assists in the operational support and coordination of the Outpatient Infusion Center and Vascular Access Department. This position serves pediatric, adult, and geriatric populations.
1. *Provides administrative and technical support for assigned departments in an organized and accurate manner according to hospital policies and procedures. Serves as the contact person to physician offices, patients and insurance companies regarding services. .
2. *Exhibits overall knowledge of claims and authorization processing for insurance companies including private, commercial and government carriers. Ensures evidence-based medicine practices are pursued, reimbursed and core indicators are maximized as guided by policy, standards, and leadership direction.
3. *Coordinates and performs insurance pre-authorizations per department procedure and protocol. Follows up as needed to meet the needs of infusion patients and maintain staff productivity.
4. *Contacts stakeholders for updated insurance information. Assists patients with questions or concerns regarding accounts.
5. *Provides accurate and up to date documentation regarding the pre-authorization of medications administered in outpatient infusion. Works from patient treatment schedules as needed to obtain pre-authorization.
6. *Coordinates with stakeholders regarding patients who are non-covered or under insured. Researches and works in collaboration with business office staff in resolving accounts denied for prior-authorization.
7. *Communicates effectively and maintains cooperative professional relationships with providers, staff members, patients and the medical community. Employs tact, diplomacy and compassion with all.
8. *Exhibits knowledge and understanding of policies and procedures as they relate to the department and KRH. Exhibits cost containment with all resources.
9. *Performs API timekeeper responsibilities for assigned areas. Serves as a resource for API scheduling issues and corrections
10. *Coordinates the collection of productivity data for the assigned departments. Utilizes spreadsheets and charts to track and exhibit collected data.
11. *Primary Patient Scheduler for Hospital Infusion and Vascular Access departments. Greets patients as they enter the infusion room and notify nurses the arrival of patients.
12. Other duties as assigned. This position description in no way states or implies that these are all the only duties required. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or is a logical assignment to the position.
1. Post high school education or vocational training in healthcare preferred. Other combinations of education and experience may be considered.
2. Minimum of two (2) years’ healthcare or accounting experience required.
3. Possess knowledge and understanding of: medical terminology / abbreviations, ICD-9, ICD-10, CPT and HCPC coding, and fundamental knowledge of basic medical billing procedures required.
4. Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to communicate effectively with various audiences required.
5. Possess and maintain computer skills to include working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and ability to learn other software as needed. Meditech experience preferred.
6. Excellent organizational skills, detail-oriented, a self-starter, possess critical thinking skills and be able to set priorities and function as part of a team as well as independently.
7. Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to manage sensitive and confidential situations with tact, professionalism, and diplomacy. Commitment to working in a team environment and maintaining confidentiality as needed.