This apprenticeship opportunity is for U.S. citizens who have served in the U.S. Armed Forces including Reserves, National Guard, and military spouses.
Amazon is seeking IT and maintenance professionals, with a military background, to join our Data Center Technician Apprenticeship Program. If accepted, apprentices will be provided both formalized IT training and on the job training leading to an opportunity to join Amazon’s world class technical teams. You will work with an elite team of data center technicians to build and maintain one of the world's largest information system infrastructures. As an apprentice, you will have a unique opportunity to combine technical and hands on training with Amazon Web Services team as they help individuals and businesses take their computing infrastructures and applications into the Cloud.
Data Center Technicians are Amazon’s front line in operating reliable and secure infrastructure when it comes to handling the entire life cycle of a rack. This includes all tasks associated with planning and tracking capacity, rack deployment, rack cabling, hardware and software troubleshooting, and rack decommissioning.
Our technicians have industry-leading technical abilities and demonstrate a breadth of knowledge while they:
- Take ownership of technical issues brought by their customer base, engaging other teams when needed to drive resolution
- Show a strong aptitude for troubleshooting and problem solving
- Solve problems at their root and step back to understand the broader context
- Maintain service level agreements through the implementation of proactive issue detection and reporting
- Are biased to act in the absence of direction or support
- Improve effectiveness through process innovation
***This opportunity is for transitioning service members, veterans, and military spouses. Candidates will go through classroom training in Seattle, WA, but will need to relocate themselves to a data center location in the Umatilla, OR area for on the job training upon classroom graduation.
- This apprenticeship opportunity is for U.S. citizens who have served in the U.S. Armed Forces including Reserves, National Guard, and military spouses.
- Military Background in Communications, IT, Signals, Electronics Maintenance, Intelligence Systems Maintenance, Signals Intelligence
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs and work in cramped and/or elevated locations with or without reasonable accommodation
- This position requires that the candidate selected be a U.S. citizen and must currently possess an active Top Secret security clearance. The position further requires that, after start, the selected candidate obtain and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph and satisfy other security related requirements.
Ideal candidates need to be familiar with the following:
- Associate's degree in IT-related field or equivalent professional or military experience
- Networking experience with CCNA and/or Network+ certifications
- Experience with CISCO, Jupiter and other commodity networking devices
- Experience working in a Data Center environment: racking & stacking equipment, cable management
- IT Hardware and concepts
- RAID, SAN, x86 Architecture, SCSI
- Linux Administration
- Command Line Interface
- Boot Process
- File Systems
- Network device and protocol configuration
- Directory Structure
- Performance Management/Troubleshooting
- Base Operating System Install
- Scripting: Perl, Python, Bash
- Core OS Services: ssh, telnet, ftp, nfs, dns, dhcp, samba, ldap, cvs
- OSI Model
- Copper and Fiber Optic Testing and Cabling Standards
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.