Technician II, Core Management
Technician II, Core Management will operate and maintain the company’s core transport networks in a manner that provides the highest level of network availability, ensuring the greatest level of customer satisfaction.
Position’s Customer(s): Provide direct / indirect support for all Business Units/departments within GCI, vendors, and the company’s subsidiaries.
Essential Duties of All Levels in the Position:
• Network development projects. (Manage the operational commissioning of Anchorage area DACS, aggregation and access metro ethernet devices, SONET equipment, and implement network bandwidth upgrades. Work with the engineering department to support the growth of the company’s transport network.
• Network troubleshooting and Corrective Maintenance. Respond to outages within the network. Isolate outages and work with appropriate technical groups to restore service. File NCSRs for all scheduled maintenance events.
• Equipment Preventative Maintenance; (perform software and firmware upgrades on network transmission equipment.)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Strong interpersonal skills;
• Strong written and verbal skills;
• Demonstrated multi-tasking skills;
• Demonstrated customer service skills;
• Ability to work independently or in a team.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
• Must have knowledge of complex IP Transport, DACS, voice, SONET and IP transport, outside plant cable maintenance and data networking systems and standards.
• Must have experience with some of the following hardware vendors: Nokia (ALU), Force 10/ Turin, Cisco ONS, Calix, BTI, TYCO, NEC, Tellabs, ECI, and ADTRAN
• Comprehensive understanding of standard operations concepts such as availability, redundancy, reliability and testing.
• Must be able to actively participate on a maintenance bridge troubleshooting outages, handling moderate levels of stress satisfactorily while also demonstrating excellent interpersonal and professional interaction skills with customers and other employees.
Additional Job Requirements: This is mid-level position technical position to operate and maintain the company’s core transport networks in a manner that provides the highest level of network availability, ensures the highest level of customer satisfaction. Required to have a comprehensive understanding of Network, installation, modifications, and test procedures. Support senior technicians and mentor junior technicians. Ability to execute moderate to complex equipment installation, test and turn up working under moderate supervision. Responsible for implementing, adoption, and operational success of various network management and monitoring systems.
Essential Duties for this position:
· Network operations maintenance
o Perform proactive maintenance to network hardware
o Complete software upgrades
o Work Remedy trouble tickets
o Support the TAC with circuit testing and troubleshooting
o Support submarine cable landing stations in Whittier and Seward
· Project Related
o Work capital projects under an ESR
o Proof of concept lab testing
o Building out new networks
o Contacting vendor support to resolve operational turn-up issues
· On-call and afterhours project work
o On-call rotation
o Support the TAC and BTS in outage response
o Afterhours service impacting work, to support projects and network growth
· Documentation and Training
o Writing Method of Procedure (MOP) documents for maintenance
o Developing best practicing documents for new processes or new hardware
o Writing and updating device commissioning procedures and baseline scripts
o Mostly self-paced training, often self-discovered through vendor documentation and online sites.
o Instructor lead online training/training department in-house training
• A minimum of two years of increasing responsibility and experience in a telecommunications central office environment is required.
• High School diploma or equivalent required.
• Associates Degree in electronics, telecommunications trade school, or equivalent training required.
• OR, a combination of relevant work experience and/or education sufficient to perform the duties may be substituted for the degree on a year for year basis.
• Certifications: Industry specific certifications are highly valued and may contribute toward education.
o Preferred Certification: CCENT; CCT, NRS
Physical Requirements: Ability to perform sedentary work; physical effort may include stooping, kneeling, touching, feeling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions; clarity of vision to see near, mid-range, and color; ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds following company safety procedures, however less weight more often.
Working Conditions: Work is performed at company’s business location in an open spaced office environment with minimal privacy. Work schedule is 40 hour workweek and requires flexibility in hours, weekend and holiday work, after hour on call duties and occasional travel. The company and its subsidiaries operate in a 24/7 environment providing critical services to Alaskans and may need to respond to public health and safety matters or other business emergencies. Due to business needs employees may be contacted outside of the normal business hours to respond to the immediate emergency. You will be requested to provide an emergency after hours contact numbers.
Driving Requirements (if applicable): Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license, proof of insurance, and a satisfactory driving record.
EEO: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or another characteristic protected by law.
Primary Location US-AK-Anchorage
Job Type Full-time
Job Posting May 1, 2018, 8:26:23 PM
Recruiter Christine Marie Churchill