OpenGov is a mission driven fast-growth, Series C, venture backed startup (includes Andreessen Horowitz, Formation 8, Thrive Capital, and Emerson Collective). Our Board of Directors includes iconic Silicon Valley executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO) and Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world).
We have surpassed 1,900+ government customers (and growing fast!) in our mission to power more effective and accountable government.
About the Senior Engineering Manager role:
We are looking for an experienced Senior Engineering Manager with a strong technical background to lead a highly skilled team of software engineers in Downtown Portland.
This team is responsible for building, delivering and operating OpenGov’s Operational Performance application (services, data and front ends) which delivers easy to use reporting, metrics and dashboards designed specifically for the public sector.
As a Senior Engineering Manager, you’ll work with product & design teams across multiple locations to design and deliver new features in an agile environment. Favoring shipping to production frequently, you will drive and motivate the team by encouraging innovation and creativity while ensuring that the high quality standards that we hold ourselves to are met.
Our ideal candidate has led technology transformations of large scale systems, preferably in the analytics and/or performance management space, and have battle-scars from managing, delivering and testing asynchronous software, microservices & data in a SaaS environment.
What you'll make happen:
You get excited by:
- Become fluent in OpenGov’s Operational Performance product, provide design guidance and provide the benefit of your engineering and management experience to the team
- Establish, contribute to and evolve development, test and delivery processes that align with the whole engineering organization
- Lead the inception of new products and initiatives and continue the ongoing development and maintenance of existing software products
- Mentor & develop engineers to realize their full potential in a fast-paced development organization
- Deliver and support quality, scalable & supportable software to customers at an impressive pace
- Contribute to OpenGov’s Engineering culture of innovation, leading-edge technology adoption and quality
- Delighting customers with innovation and stable/quality, usable products
- Data and analytics, data warehousing and manipulating large volumes of data
- Developing your multi-disciplinary team to be confident, self-sufficient key contributors
- Organizing your team and backlogs to accelerate velocity
- Modern technology, tools and processes
- Cloud-based software delivery on a global-scale
- 8+ years developing software
- 3+ years managing high-performing software-engineering teams
- 4+ years of cloud-native software delivery (including containerisation)
- 3+ years delivering software using an agile methodology (Scrum ideally)
- BA/BS in a computer-science related discipline
- Intimate knowledge of modern SCM, Collaboration, development & testing tools
- MS+ in computer-science or related discipline
- Hands-on knowledge of CI/CD practices
- Experience with Analytics and Data Cubes/Warehouses
- Knowledge of GAAP accounting and financial reporting
- Functional Programming experience
- Reactive software architectures
What makes OpenGov unique
We build functional, reactive TypeScript apps using React and Redux driven by horizontally scaled modern (functional and reactive) Java 10 microservices built on Vert.x and kubernetes. Yep, our front end code looks just like our backend code
CEO Zac Bookman (MPA from Harvard and JD from Yale) is truly a mission driven CEO. He was named one of the 100 most Intriguing Entrepreneurs by Goldman Sachs and SF Business Times' 40 under 40 class of 2018!
$80 million, Series C company, from top tier investors including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, Thrive Capital, and Emerson Collective.
» Board of Directors:
Includes iconic Silicon Valley executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO) and Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world).
Fully stocked kitchens, daily breakfast and catered lunches, gym reimbursement, music room, zen room, foosball and pool table, Unlimited PTO and 11 paid holidays, 95% medical premium coverage for employees, fun events, and more! Just look at www.opengov.com/careers
Named a Tech Pioneer by the World Economic Forum, our cloud solution leverages cutting-edge technology to innovate on the core processes of Government. We're powering more effective and accountable government. Come join us and make a positive social impact!