Reporting directly to the Customer Service Supervisor and under general supervision, this position is responsible for functioning as the subject matter expert regarding all aspect of the student's accounts. The Senior Customer Service Representative provides information to the students, parents, the campus community and the general public in federal, university and campus policies affecting student and/or client accounts and upholds the privacy laws surrounding student records (FERPA & California Information Practices Act). Oversee the daily operations of the customer service area; including referrals to appropriate campus partners as necessary. Working at the front counter station, serve as the lead for all front counter service and educate students, parents, and the general public regarding all policies which involves analyzing the student's accounts, MyBill, Deferred Payment Plan, Direct Deposit and Aggie Docs. Use analytical skills to review accounts; research and determine the need and conditions to solve problems; initiate or recommend appropriate action within established guidelines. Disburse residual financial aid checks in accordance with the Federal and State regulations and/or UC policy governing the funds being refunded.
The Senior Customer Service Representative must remain knowledgeable of all work processes, deadlines, and student information systems functionalities. This position requires the management of heavy service traffic, frequent interruptions and multiple and coinciding deadlines. Responsibilities also include contributing effectively to the daily operation of the Student Accounting Department, daily supervision of the student employees and leading the operations of the unit.
Work on a personal computer for extended periods of time.
Occasionally lift boxes of office supplies or files weighing 25 lbs.
Work at a front desk service station with frequent interruptions.
Must be able to work overtime, usually on short notice to meet operational needs.
Limited vacation usage during peak workload periods.
Restricted vacation near the beginning of the academic terms.
Employee is personally responsible for following safety procedures and guidelines.
UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco-free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) will be strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.
Background Check Required:
This position is a critical position and subject to a background check. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of background investigation including criminal history and identity checks.
- Account reconciliation experience in a government, nonprofit or other fund accounting organization.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Terminology.
- Experience working in a customer service environment, resolving problems and complaints in both written and oral form. Customer service and communication skills to provide courteous service in person on the telephone, and in writing; convey a professional and business-like image.
- Experience leading teams and providing training.
- Experience developing process documentation and training materials.
- Oral and written communication skills to present information effectively, tailor presentations to a wide variety of audiences, present complex concepts and recommendations clearly.
- Critical thinking, interpretative and analytical skills to research situations, define problems, interpret policies, identify concerns, develop and propose solutions.
- Organizational skills with demonstrated ability to prioritize overlapping activities, multi-task and work with interruptions, exercise initiative and work independently while maintaining a high degree of accuracy and meeting deadlines with minimum supervision.
- Computer skills to work across a multi-platform environment with proficiency in using a variety of software packages including but not limited to databases, spreadsheets, presentation software, word processing, email and web browsers.
- Experience interpreting and applying policies in an educational environment.
- Experience establishing workflow operations, goal setting, and efficient work settings.
- Experience using and creating queries of accounting systems (either directly with SQL or using business intelligence tools) to generate reports.
- Experience with university accounting procedures and campus systems (KFS, Banner, MyBill, Direct Deposit, Aggie Docs, etc.).
- Experience working effectively with multiple constituencies, including a diverse student body, staff, general public, and other campus departments; continually adjusting in a dynamic environment, and the skills to advise students and solve problems.
- Experience and skill demonstrating leadership, professionalism and effective customer service; the skills to work with difficult, disgruntled, defensive students, staff, faculty or other persons, and convey a professional, business, and service-oriented image.
- Experience and knowledge using student information systems.
- Experience working with confidential information; the knowledge of, and the skill to adhere to federal and state laws as they apply to student records including the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, California Information Practices Act, and campus procedure implementing the University of California policies applying to the disclosure of information from student records.