Civil Service Title:
Criminalist – detailed to Director of Laboratory
Title Code No:
Director of Evidence
421 East 26th St., NYC
Evidence/ Division of Laboratories
35 Hours over a Seven-Day period
Number of Positions:
The Office of Chief Medical Examiner investigates cases of persons who die within New York City from criminal violence, by accident, by suicide, suddenly when in apparent health, when unattended by a physician, in a correctional facility or in any suspicious or unusual manner or where an application is made pursuant to law for a
permit to cremate a body of a person.
We exist to provide answers in support of families, victims and community during times of profound need.
The core values of the OCME are to put the mission of the agency first, to be truly dedicated and to have integrity in every aspect of our professional life. The Director of Evidence reports directly to the Chief of Laboratories. The individual selected for this position will be responsible for overseeing and managing evidence gathered for all OCME Laboratories and for the development of system-wide policies and management of Evidence Unit operations. With wide latitude for personal initiative, the Director of Evidence enforces policy regarding the safekeeping of evidence in the custody of the New York City Office of Chief Medical Examiner. Typical responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Maintaining current working knowledge of pertinent chain of custody laws and adjusting policy and procedures as necessary to ensure compliance
- Creating and implementing a systematic training program for all Evidence Unit staff regarding legal mandates, accreditation requirements and internal agency guidelines for handling evidence; and ensuring the integrity of chain of custody for all evidence in the care of the Office of Chief Medical Examiner
- Managing the Evidence Unit’s Quality Assurance program, conducting audits and inspections to ensure proper handling of evidence by Evidence Unit staff, and creating and implementing programs designed to facilitate adherence to policy and ensure legal integrity of all evidence in the chain of custody
- Serves as the OCME’s Evidence Unit Liaison to NYPD and the District Attorney’s Offices in all five boroughs, outlying counties and law enforcement agencies; establishing and maintaining relations with those entities; and coordinating all interagency activities, such as the transfer of evidence to and from the custody of OCME to the NYPD and other law enforcement agencies that submit evidence to OCME for testing
- Conduct ongoing research of evidence management, making recommendations and testing new methods and equipment in order to advance evidentiary operations
- Responsible for day-to-day operations of the Evidence Unit including the allocation of supervisory and administrative support
- Serves as a member of the emergency operations staff and is responsible for the allocation of evidentiary staff during such operations.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college, with specialization in criminalistics, forensic science, chemistry, biology, physics, molecular genetics, genetics, biochemistry, molecular biology, entomology, anthropology, ecology or a closely related scientific or engineering field.
1. Conflict resolution skills
2. Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, particularly WORD and Excel
3. Must be highly organized and possess excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills
1. The selected candidate will be required to provide a DNA sample by swabbing.
2. This position has been identified as “essential”. During emergency events, “essential” positions may require 24-hour availability.
PLEASE SUBMIT RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov (JOB ID # 416901)
Please note that only candidates selected for the interview will be contacted for this position.
New York City Residency is not required for this position