Livent Corporation is a fully integrated lithium company, with a long, proven history of producing lithium compounds for use in applications that have specific performance requirements, including battery-grade lithium hydroxide for use in high performance lithium-ion batteries. We also supply butyllithium, which is used as a synthesizer in the production of polymers and pharmaceutical products, as well as a range of specialty lithium compounds including high purity lithium metal, which is used in the production of lightweight materials for aerospace applications and non-rechargeable batteries. We have been extracting lithium brine at our Argentina operations for more than 20 years, and have been producing lithium compounds for over 60 years. We are one of a few lithium compound producers with global manufacturing capabilities, and do business in the United States, China, the United Kingdom, India and South America.
This is an excellent opportunity for a lawyer to join the newly formed Law Department of Livent Corporation. Based in Philadelphia, you will serve as primary business and compliance counsel to all functions and business units and will be responsible for managing external counsel required in connection with such support. You will also work closely with the General Counsel in supporting general corporate and securities matters. The ideal candidate will have significant experience in general corporate and securities counseling and corporate governance matters, commercial contracting, and ethics and compliance support. Candidate should have excellent contract drafting and negotiation skills. Supervisory experience is a plus.
This is a front-line role for a confident, proactive, commercially-minded lawyer with high levels of autonomy and an ability to manage a significant volume of diverse projects and demands. The position involves regular interaction with the General Counsel and other senior company executives and an excellent career development path. This position will offer a competitive salary which will include cash bonus and long-term incentive.
- Provide support on a wide range of general corporate, corporate governance, and SEC matters, including earnings calls, the proxy statement, 8-Ks,10-Ks, 10-Qs, annual reports, board and committee meetings;
- Collaborate with finance, treasury, tax and other teams on banking and investment matters, intercompany agreements, credit agreements, cross-border business and tax planning, internal controls, and bankruptcy matters;
- Draft and advise on supply, distributorship, sales agency, vendor (including IT), tolling, consulting, and other agreements;
- Manage external expert counsel in providing employment, environmental, health and safety, regulatory, intellectual property, and litigation support when needed; and
- Support ethics and compliance programs, including compliance reporting, investigations, compliance training (on-line and live), and compliance policies/protocols.
Likely to be approximately 5-10% of the time.
Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Experience, Competencies, Education)
- Strong academic credentials and bar admission (preferably Pennsylvania);
- Preferred 10+ years legal experience, including law firm experience; in-house counsel experience is a plus;
- Considerable commercial experience, but also capable and comfortable functioning as a corporate generalist; sound negotiator;
- Superior communication skills, both written and verbal, to effectively address and influence all levels of the organization, including the ability to effectively communicate how an issue impacts the Company from both a business and legal perspective;
- A focus on client needs with a commitment to timing, quality and client service;
- A practical, roll-up-the-shirt-sleeves, hands-on approach to the practice of law;
- A business partner, who likes working side-by-side with business people, and is receptive to opposing views;
- The ability to work well both independently and as part of a highly collaborative and an international team, in a fast-paced cross-cultural environment; an
- A strong work ethic and the ability to prioritize and follow through on numerous projects simultaneously.
- International/global experience a plus
- Functional/Technical Skills
- Decision Quality
- Learning on the Fly
- Problem Solving
- Conflict Management
LIVENT employs people across a broad range of occupations in locations across the world. We are looking for people to join us in creating, developing, and improving our products, our processes, and our markets. Employees enjoy competitive compensation, a menu of work/life benefits and opportunities to continue developing their skills and building their career. LIVENT is an Equal Opportunity Employer, EEO, AAE, MFDV and supports a drug free workplace.