Report for America is a national service program that places emerging journalists into local newsrooms to report on urgent under-covered issues and communities. It is an initiative of The GroundTruth Project, an award winning, independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit news organization dedicated to supporting the next generation of journalists.
Report for America is a dynamic, rapidly-growing answer to America’s crisis in local news reporting. This year Report for America will expand from roughly 60 corps members to 250 as part of an ambitious plan to ensure that every American county has regular access to excellent local news. Our reporters and photojournalists work at newspapers large and small, public radio stations, TV stations, digital publications, wire services and investigative nonprofits. This year they will be in 163 newsrooms across 46 states, plus Puerto Rico and Washington, D.C.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Manager of Local Sustainability for Report for Americais a key position within the organization. The Manager is charged with the critical role in contributing to the mission of generating support from local and regional donors for the national Report for America program. In addition, this role will work with local news organizations to build their capacity to raise local philanthropic support. It is our preference that the managers be based in Dallas, TX or Charlotte, NC and will report to the Director of Local Sustainability and Development. We offer a competitive salary, great benefits and an excellent working environment!
- Develop and deploy strategies to mobilize philanthropic support from local and regional individuals, families, foundations and corporations for the Report for America program
- Train local newsrooms to identify and solicit funds from local philanthropy (foundations, individuals, corporations) to support their Report for America reporting positions
- Work with the team of GroundTruth and Report for America to generate support for Report for America in general and to coordinate with the GroundTruth’s development strategy.
- Build local support infrastructure for Report for America’s program growth across your region.
- Participate in strategic events and travel as an individual and with the development team, including CEOs of GroundTruth and Report for America.
A successful candidate will possess:
- Bachelor’s Degree (preferred)
- Several years (7-10) of experience in nonprofit development is preferred, but a natural in the space of media and philanthropy is just as valuable.
- Experience in training or teaching (to help train local news organizations how to advance their local fundraising efforts).
- Passion for, and familiarity with, the cause of local journalism.
- Strong communicator, organizer and enthusiastic cause leader.
- Strategic, long-term visioning skills to work with peers to outline future opportunities and needs.
About The GroundTruth Project
Our mission is to restore journalism from the ground up by supporting the next generation of journalists through field reporting that serves under-covered corners of the United States and the world.
The GroundTruth Project is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected status.
Interviews may be conducted via video conferencing or in-person.
Apply here: https://reportforamerica.submittable.com/submit/162833/manager-of-local-sustainability
Job Type: Full-time
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Flexible schedule
- Professional development assistance
- Tuition reimbursement
- Only full-time employees eligible