INTERNAL HR DEPARTMENT POSTING - ONLY CURRENT CABARRUS COUNTY HR EMPLOYEES MAY APPLY.
Hiring range for this position is $49,961.60- $56,934.80. Initial placement for new employees is customarily at entry level through 25% percentile. Pay grade for this position is 20.
Performs difficult professional work in all areas of Human Resources. Work is performed under the regular supervision of the Human Resources Director. Supervision may be exercised over HR staff.
Examples of Duties
Applies technical and professional expertise of Human Resources administrative processes; prepares and analyzes detailed and complex reports, spreadsheets, etc; makes recommendations for efficiencies, actions, and legal compliance; interprets, applies, and explains personnel policies and procedures; performs various audits; prepares, verifies, and processes personnel action forms to update and effect employee status changes.
(These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Assists in developing and implementing personnel policies and procedures; assists departments in compliance.
- Analyzes complex employee issues and provides guidance as needed.
- Provides employee relations support including recommendations on employee performance and policy adherence; attend at pre-disciplinary hearings and grievances.
- Prepares management and materials for unemployment hearings, leads phone hearings as needed.
- Provides performance management/performance evaluation advice to supervisors to ensure accuracy, timeliness and consistency.
- Makes recommendations on personnel decisions including promotion, demotion, and discipline.
- Analyzes employment applications to determine qualification status. Participates on assessment panels, develops interview questions and arranges additional applicant testing as needed.
- Conducts portions of new hire orientation as assigned.
- Develops employee training materials.Delivers training to employees and supervisors.
- Serves on or leads committees as appropriate to areas of expertise.
- Completes special projects including organizational reviews as needed.
- Assists with budget preparation for HR and other departments as requested by County Management.
- May recommends facility specific policies and procedures that align with County-wide policies.
- Provides support for Safety & Risk Management for light duty assignment and work accommodations.
- Attends and/or presents at customer site meetings and leadership trainings.
- Makes presentations to the County Management team and Board of Commissioners.
- Maintains accurate records and files; prepares files for retention and destruction; maintains confidentiality.
- .Assists with Human Resources events and functions, including employee appreciation and service awards.
- Develops forms, databases, presentations, etc. in both written and electronic formats.
- Prepares various correspondence, reports, forms, and other written materials.
- Serves as back up for Human Resources Director when unavailable.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Seeks professional development through trainings, meetings and other opportunities to serve the HR profession.
- Performs related tasks as required.
Thorough knowledge of all human resources functions; specialist experience in one or more areas of human resources in the public sector; thorough knowledge of County policies, procedures, and regulations; federal and state employment laws. Working knowledge of office equipment and computers and applicable software applications. General knowledge of the organization and functions of County government. Ability to understand and administer personnel regulations, policies, and procedures; research, compile, evaluate, and analyze financial, technical, and other data; prepare and maintain accurate records and reports; communicate effectively orally and in writing; maintain confidentiality; and attend work regularly.
Experience in public sector HR
Specialist experience in one function of HR, general experience in all areas
Minimum Education / Experience requirements
Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with major course work in human resources administration, public administration, or related field and considerable, responsible human resources experience. Public sector personnel experience preferred. Master's degree in Human Resources or a related field preferred.
Sedentary work requiring the exertion of up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects; work requires reaching and fingering, grasping, and repetitive motions; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word, and conveying detailed or important instructions to others accurately, loudly, or quickly; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels, and to receive detailed information through oral communications and/or make fine distinctions in sound; visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, operation of office machines, determining accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; the worker is not subject to adverse environmental conditions.
Actively commissioned or obtain commission within one year of employment as a North Carolina Notary Public. HR certifications to include PHR, SPHR, SHRM and/or IPMA.
Supplemental and Contact Information
Cabarrus County selects applicants for employment based on job-related knowledge, skills, and abilities without regard to race, color, gender, national origin, religion, age, disability, political affiliation or political influence.
Degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions. Transcripts, degree evaluations and cover letters may be uploaded with your application. Applicants who obtained their education outside of the United States and its territories are expected to assume responsibility for having their academic degrees validated as equivalent to a degree conferred by a regionally accredited college or university in the United States.
Please be sure to complete the application in full. Resumes may be uploaded with your application, but will not be accepted in lieu of a fully completed application and will not be considered for qualifying credit. "See Resume" or "See Attachment" will NOT be accepted.
If multiple applications are submitted to an individual position, only the most recent application received prior to the posting closing date will be accepted. Applications must be submitted by 11:59 PM on the closing date.
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information regarding the status of your application over the phone. To check the status of your application, please log in to your account
. Processing applications will take an average of 6 – 8 weeks due to the high volume of applications received. It is not necessary to contact the Human Resources Office to check the status of an application. Upon the closing date, applications are "Under Review" and will be screened by Human Resources for the most qualified applicants.
For technical issues with your applications, please call the NEOGOV Help Line at 855-524-5627
. If there are any questions about this posting other than your application status, please contact HR at 704-920-2200.