Yoga Journal, the world’s leading yoga publication and media brand, is seeking an Associate Art Director in Boulder, Colorado. This position reports to the Art Director and collaborates closely with all teams to create and assist with visual needs across the brand’s many platforms, in addition to working on design and production of the print and special interest publications. The candidate must be talented, deadline-driven, and collaborative, with a strong attention for details. The duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Works with Art Director to conceive and design compelling layouts for the print magazine (designs departments and features as assigned for the 9 regular issues and 6 SIPs/year)
- Works with Art Director and other Directors across the brand to create striking, on-brand digital visuals and visual packages for marketing, web, and other platforms (this can include logos, brand elements, promotional materials, photo stories, etc.)
- Reviews and manages the Zinio digital editions
- Leads art direction on assigned photo shoots: Creating mood boards, assisting with styling, and sourcing photographers/talent
Works with the Art Director and Brand Director to execute all aspects of production, ensuring all deadlines are met. This includes:
- Assisting with project management of the print issues
- Working with an in-house color correction specialist and the Art Director to make sure color is being processed and is on point.
- Managing production, placing final images, and making epsons and final PDFs, helping to keep everyone on task with getting the issue out the door.
- Managing archive needs after the issues have shipped
- Helps select and manage the workload and progression of an art department intern to foster a mutually beneficial experience for all.
- Selects and manages freelancers associated with print production and digital products as needed
The ideal candidate:
- Has strong consumer magazine design/layout design, production skills and preferably 5+ years as a designer
- Must be very familiar in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Has a BA or MA degree in graphic design or a related field
- Has strong print and digital design skills, is a self-starter, and thinks outside the box
- Has a broad knowledge of photography, typography, color correction, and illustration
- Is highly organized and deadline driven, with superb project and time management skills
- Works collaboratively with enthusiastic team members both in the office and around the country
- A solid understanding of and respect for yoga, its teachings, and safe and proper alignment considered a plus.
- Lives in the Boulder, Colorado area or will relocate to Colorado
Job Type: Full-time