Tri-State Turf operates multiple location production sod farm in the Dunn North Carolina area, covering over a thousand acres and serving a variety of clients. No matter what type of site our customer manages we have their best turfgrass solution. Tri-State Turf also operates a grain vac operation in the southeastern US.
Tri-State Turf is seeking an innovative, motivated and experienced full time Safety Officer reporting to the Director of Safety & Risk Management, with an accountability to the local Farm management, this position (under the direction of the Director of Safety & Risk Management) is responsible for the oversight and program implementation for a production sod farm and grain vac operations at the various Tri-State Turf locations with the capability to make a positive physical and cultural impact. The ideal candidate will be primarily responsible for continuously improving Tri-State Turf safety practices and programs to world class standards while driving compliance to applicable regulatory standards. This position will assist the development of policies, programs, processes, procedures, standards, tools and training to facilitate organization-wide standardization and consistency for occupational health, safety and risk management. The position will continuously build/enhance the company safety culture and values.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in developing and managing the company’s accident and injury prevention program ensuring compliance with all local, state, federal regulations.
- Assist in establishing and maintaining the company’s health and safety policies. Provide subject matter expertise for occupational health and safety standards, specifically: behavioral safety, life safety, fire safety, farm equipment safety, ergonomics, industrial hygiene, chemical safety and driver safety.
- Partner with the Safety Department and HR to conduct incident investigations, root cause analysis, and develop recommendations to prevent accident / injury recurrence
- Assist in developing new hire safety orientation, monthly safety meetings, safety committee meetings, and other safety training programs.
- Investigate motor vehicle accidents and refer employees to HR for post-accident drug and alcohol screening. Assist the Director of Safety & Risk Management and Farm management with insurance companies to manage external claims.
- Proactively schedule/lead safety audits, inspections, monthly safety talks to ensure all areas of farm operations are addressed and share feedback with Farm Management and the Director of Safety & Risk Management.
- Serving as a member of the Safety Team, prepare and present safety reports for the Director of Safety &Risk Management and Farm Management outlining trends for motor vehicle accidents, farm accidents, near misses, first aid injuries, and medically treated injuries. Collaborate with other team members to drive standardization and consistency. Assist in managing all OSHA logs including completion of OSHA 301 Incident Log, OSHA 300A Summary and OSHA 300 Log for posting. Maintain the Farm’s Safety Information and Injury Boards.
- Utilize technical expertise to assist in the develop and implement support tools and templates for managing safety risks associated with chemical usage.
- Assist the Director of Safety & Risk Management in linking key health and safety projects to annual planning and budgeting process.
- Drive standardization and consistency; provide technical support and guidance for compliance, sustainability, and risk management elements.
- Other duties as assigned.
- OSHAS 1800 experience preferred.
- Proven leadership skills and the ability to influence and motivate others to quickly achieve results.
- High energy and passion for excellence, bias for action, adaptability, and resilience.
- Effective oral and written communication skills; ability to effectively present complex topics in a concise manner.
- Effective interpersonal skills dealing with people at various professional levels and in a variety of functions.
- Strong quantitative and analytical capability – strong statistical background a plus.
- Critical thinking skills and ability to constructively resolve conflicts.
- Broad understanding of business issues, metrics, organizational linkages, and customer value.
- Ability to challenge the organization in a manner that maintains trust and respect.
- Self-confident, ability to accept and respond to challenges in a positive manner.
- Highly proficient with MS Office Suite.
- A clean driving history.
- Ability to work various hours (nights, weekends) if needed and to respond at all hours to accidents, injuries or other emergencies.
- Position is hands on, requiring to be in the field 80% of the time.
- Undergraduate degree in safety, agricultural engineering, or technical discipline, with a minimum of five (5) years safety experience in an agricultural or industrial/manufacturing environment.
- Advanced certification (i.e. Certified Safety Professional (CSP)) preferred.
- Bi-Lingual (English and Spanish) candidates are highly desired and will have preference.
- Strong decision making, fiscal responsibility and superior organizational skills required.
- Experience with a multi-location operation preferred.
- Three (3) or more years in a management role preferred but not required.
- The ideal candidate will be self-motivated and can thrive in a fast-paced environment.
Position location: Dunn, NC
Relocation reimbursement possible for the right candidate.
Salary based on experience, plus incentives. Excellent medical/dental/vision benefits/paid time off/paid holidays/401(k) plan with company match. A friendly, energetic work culture. Freedom to succeed and ownership of your job! A dedicated vehicle will be provided.
Job Type: Full Time
Job Type: Full-time
- Regulations: 1 year (Preferred)
- Certified Safety Professional (Preferred)
- Clean driving record (Preferred)
- Spanish and English (Preferred)