The Newark Public Library is New Jersey’s largest municipal library, providing collections and services at the Main Library and six operating branches located in neighborhoods throughout the city. The Library is a gateway to knowledge and lifelong learning: nurturing youth and families, contributing to the personal growth and well-being of all Newarkers, strengthening digital literacy skills for all, enhancing and promoting the Library’s special collections, and providing welcoming environments. There are 5 Library Assistant openings: two are located in the Circulation Department at the Main Branch, one is located at the Springfield Branch, and one is located at the North End Branch.
Under the direction of the supervisor, the successful candidates for the Library Assistant position will create a welcoming environment for patrons of all backgrounds; assist patrons by creating library cards, checking out items onto patrons’ library cards, locating items in the catalog and on the shelf, and preparing items for interlibrary loan; and assist in keeping the library orderly and presentable by repairing library items, shelving, and making sure shelves are in order using the Dewey Decimal System.
Duties and responsibilities
- Charges and discharges library material to users.
- Computes and collects fines and makes change.
- Answers patron inquiries pertaining to physical location of library material, library hours, offices and personnel, and availability and reserve of popular or new publications.
- Reviews library membership applications for completeness as to name, address, and similar personal identification, and records changes of such information.
- Lists overdue library material from card files and completes overdue notices for notifying patrons.
- Performs filing or shelving tasks involving the use of the Dewey Decimal Classification System and alphabetical filing systems beyond the initial letter of a word.
- Locates required publications primarily based on call number.
- Performs searches for publications in immediate vicinity of its proper location.
- Checks shelves to ensure materials are filed properly.
- Clips articles from newspapers/periodicals and arranges clippings in suitable form according to topical subject matter as directed.
- Repairs library material using mending tape, paste, and brush; places covers on material; pastes book pockets and/or data slips; sprays lacquer to protect spine.
- Prepares library materials for circulation.
- Will be required to learn to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and information systems used by the agency, office, or related units.
Knowledge of basic arithmetic using whole numbers.
Ability to perform extensive alphabetizing beyond the first letter of a word.
Ability to converse, speaking clearly, concisely, and courteously.
Ability to comprehend and follow written and/or oral one-or-two step instructions.
Ability to perform numerical filing beyond the initial digit of a sequence of figures.
Ability to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and information systems used by the agency, office, or related units.
Ability to read, write, speak, understand, and communicate in English sufficiently to perform duties of this position. American Sign Language or Braille may also be considered as acceptable forms of communication.
Persons with mental or physical disabilities are eligible as long as they can perform essential functions of the job after reasonable accommodation is made to their known limitations. If the accommodation cannot be made because it would cause the employer undue hardship, such persons may not be eligible.
Must be able to lift large boxes weighing a maximum of 25 pounds and carry, push, and pull, trucks of materials.
Some combination of stooping, kneeling, and crouching.
Deadline to apply:
January 13, 2023
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $31,611.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Newark, NJ: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Work Location: In person